250gb sata drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

I hope this can be fixed, ok for some reason i bumped into my pc when it was on and a loose power cable caused it to turn off and now if i leave my system on for more than say a half of an hour or run a defragmentation or loadin a game the system hangs and never comes out of it i ran dskchk and it sopes processing files on the 4 ot of 5 stage on 35000 stage it hangs on this. please tell me its just corrupted files that i making the hdd go funny and maybe a format could fix it? or is it s replacement job :( ty

run a disc diagnostic utility on your HDD. You can acquire one from the manufacturer's website for free (download)

dskchk and it sopes processing files on the 4 ot of 5 stage on 35000 stage it hangs on this
This looks like bad news, as 4 out of 5 is the physical disk check. If it is doing it in the same spot, you probably have yourself a 'bad sector'. Programs such as HDD Regenerator may be able to repair it (non-destructive) and zero-fill utilities may be able to flag it (destroys data) so Windows doesn't choke on it anymore, but you may end up buying a new drive.

As mentioned above, use a manufacturer's drive diagnostic (see the top of this forum for a sticky thread with links) to determine this for sure. New hard drives are fairly inexpensive these days, considering you can buy a 120GB for less than $50 and a 320GB for less than $80. www.newegg.com

How hard did you bump into it? Was it a nudge or a smash hit that would have knocked a small child unconscious?

I agree, probably a bad sector. If you hit it hard enough the magnetic reader may have scratched the actual surface of the disc, in which case that portion of the hard drive is dead.

I would get a new HD and write this one off as a bad accident. Move important files if you can offline ASAP.

No peoplei did not like take a sledge to my computer lol i have speakers that need power ok the only way i could give it power is to attch it to my power supply so the way it was set up is my speakers go into the power supply first then the power cable attches to the speaker power cable (two way connection) but the speaker powe cable is abit loose and if u bump into the computer the power would shut off so thatswhati think hasdone it now the problem is , is the physical damage or just that it has corrupted a sector in the disk and maybe a rformat would fix it , now Windows works and stuff i can go on msnand i can listen to music. i ran a dskchk and it fixeda few bad indexes and it then it replaced a bad cluster when verfifying disk media. but it got to stage 5out of5 at 67percent then i left it for 2hours and it did not move . but verything sems to be working fine for the minute

you may still want to consider backing up your files regularly, if not for this particular problem (failing chkdsk) then as a good habit to get into.. trust me, this is coming from one who've lost 200gb of family pictures and other data.

i ran a dskchk and it fixeda few bad indexes and it then it replaced a bad cluster when verfifying disk media.
It's worth mentioning that chkdsk did not fix your 'bad cluster'. (Bad clusters are caused by bad sectors, typically). It simply stops using it and ignores it, which is a good temporary workaround.

A bad sector is a physical problem with the drive. It may or may not come back to haunt you. There is a program called HDD regenerator that works pretty will in these situations. It actually 'remagnetizes' defective sectors - repairing them. It works surprisingly well, but alas, it is not freeware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back