250mb for £60? whats the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

right i've ahd this card for a while. i have a " GeForce FX 5700 VE 256MB"
Now noone seems to have heard of this card lol but it was only £60 (UK Currency) at the time i thought "wow 256mb for £60 ??, easy getting that"
and it also said "peak geforce" which kinda tempted me more lol but then it got me thinking, yes its a good card and is doing great so far but why was it this cheap? as i've seen 128mb card that cost more than this one? i'm not fully aware of how to tel whetehr a card is good or not, jsut the basics realli lol so whats the catch here?

its likely the store wanted to get rid of said product. it is, after all, an older chip.

fx 5700 "ve"is a lighter edition of the 5700 gpu,still its not a bad card.60 pounds might have been a little cheaper than what it should be,i am not sure but 60 pounds ar like 100$-120$ thats ok for a 5700ve.this cards has a lot of memory,dont think that this will make the card any faster than a 128 mb version of the same card only give you more space to load more texture and game elements on it.the card should be fine on most games just dont expect too much in performance from it.

zephead said:
its likely the store wanted to get rid of said product. it is, after all, an older chip.

not so, the shop has been selling them for as long as i can remember. There is also a radeon version, 9750 i think, not so sure but again it says "peak" ont eh box, its a 256mb an it wos £60. i think these cards are 4 teh cheap ppl (like me :p ) who cant afford a big mighty expensive card.As for my card i;m gonna attempt to overclock it, an see if that helps

what should i look out for in a card?

if the memory isnt that important, what should i look for in a graphics card? the bit size or sumfin?

whats more important than the memory is the actual GPU Itself,memory interface and core clock speeds/memory interface speed.look at some benchmark to get a better idea.128mb is more than enough for most of the latest games today(except maybe doom3 on ultra high quality),after that all it comes down to is the gpu itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back