260 GTX and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmHmmmmm

I've been having a lot of trouble with the computer i built, i think the main problem is the terrible choice in the PSU i bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

I am having trouble figuring out how to give it the necessary power in order to function properly.

17-341-010-04.jpg

17-341-010-03.jpg

After looking closely at each rail, i noticed that the pci connectors only give 18 amps. I am having trouble figuring out how to make the 260 work. What i am doing right now is i have 3 rails connecting to the video card using the 6-pin to 2 4-pin molex converter. I have 1 of the two PCIe connected to the card and i have one 4 pin molex from seperate rails connected to the 6-pin to 4 molex converter. My main concern is if its actually going to get enough power because i am using one of the rails to power both the case fans and the card. I also have another question, is it okay that the 6-pin to 4-pin converter supplied by my graphics card only has 3 pins in it?

You do not add the amps together on the rails, since if that were true, the power output on the +12V rail alone would far exceed the total power rating of the PSU. The maximum combined power rating in the picture, when divided by 12, gives you the maximum current delivered by the +12V transformer that is split across all four rails at the same time.

But still, with a total of 44A on the +12V rails combined, you should have plenty of power to run a GTX 260. And the PSU comes with one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin power connector each, so you wouldn't need any converters to power the card.

Thanks for the correction.. You may kick me for posting at 4 AM after a full day AND an 8 hour drive home.. lol :D

You do not add the amps together on the rails, since if that were true, the power output on the +12V rail alone would far exceed the total power rating of the PSU. The maximum combined power rating in the picture, when divided by 12, gives you the maximum current delivered by the +12V transformer that is split across all four rails at the same time.

But still, with a total of 44A on the +12V rails combined, you should have plenty of power to run a GTX 260. And the PSU comes with one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin power connector each, so you wouldn't need any converters to power the card.

Ah okay, thank you very much. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back