2gb 333mhz or 1.5gb 400mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidwinter

I have 2gbs of 400mhz ram but it only reads at 333mhz. I am pretty sure if I take out one stick of 512mb it will run at 400mhz. Now what would be more effective for high end games such as BF2 and F.E.A.R!?....

My stats:

AMD64 venice 3000+
1 stick 1gb 3200 400mhz ram-------I all sticks
2 sticks 512mb 3200 400mhz ram ---I same brand
Gigabyte 256mb x800xt PE AGP 8x
Windows xp pro sp 2

Yes, I have seen that post. I realize that My motherboard will not support more then 2 sticks of 400mhz ram and any more will auto decrease. What I mean is would it be worth taking it out? Whats more important, the 400mhz or the 2gbs?

Depends on the circumstances. Both have their advantages.
Try either combination and use e.g. SisoftSandra for a Benchmark test or check the FPS.
Whichever gives the better numbers, use that.

It will run all 4 sticks @ 400MHz if you take the time to pick single-sided modules.

Acidwinter said:
is would it be worth taking it out? Whats more important, the 400mhz or the 2gbs?
that depends on what sockt type your CPU is. You have an "AMD64 venice 3000+" but you did not specify whether it is a socket-939 or a socket-754.

If it is a socket-939, then I would say you'd be better off running two matched RAM sticks in dual channel. Best config would be to get rid of both 512MB sticks and replace it with the same 1GB RAM stick you already have, then you would have 2x1GB dual channel. Generally speaking, you don't need more than 1 GB RAM, and in dual channel mode your RAM is utilized more efficiently, so if you don't want to buy anything more, I would suggest running the 2 512MB sticks in dual channel and leaving out the 1GB stick.

On the other hand if your CPU is a socket-754, than it doesn't support dual channel memory mode, just remove 1 512MB stick to bring the speed back up to 400MHz.

no matter which socket type you have, running 3 RAM sticks is reducing your performance

you can verify it here

they make 3 90nm cored (venice) socket-754 processors. 3000+, 3200+, and a 3400+

P.S.----> you are right about them not making a San Diego cored soxket-754 processor, but I never said that they did either ;)

I knew they made 0.09 Semprons but I thought the only 0.09 cpu other then those were the Turion-64s. I stand corrected. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back