TechSpot

2nd Hard Drive Vanished!!

By beer4brains
Jul 8, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,
    I wonder if anyone can help/advise me with this hard disk problem.
    My os is winXp pro and my current [c:] drive is an 80Gb maxtor which is working fine.
    The problem is with my 120Gb seagate 2nd disk drive which I sometimes disconnect from this system and reconnect with another, which I think might be the cause of the problem, because after 2 problem free years of doing this, both computers now tell me that the disk is not formatted!!. I downloaded the seagate diagnostic prog and it told me that, phisically the drive was working fine but it gave me this report:-

SeaTools Desktop v3.02.03
    Copyright (c) 2005 Kroll Ontrack Inc.

7/8/2005 @ 6:18 PM

Drive Information:
    SIZE MODEL
    --------- ---------------------
    120 GB ST3120022A

Serial Number = 5JT0YD66
    Int13 Num = 81, PHYS CHS = 16383x16x63.
    ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 14593x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
    ---------- ------------ ----
    # Type Start End MB
    PRIMARY
    1 FAT32 0 14592 120039

Diagnostic Results:

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (FAT 32 (120 GB) No Name) Result: Invalid BPB

The invalid BPB result could be the problem, so I downloaded the free trial version of restorer2000 from their website and after scanning a small part of the problem drive, I could see the lost file names (about 60Gb of comedy tv and movies and about 60Gb of feature movies, so that was a relief!)
    My question is, is there a program that will repair the File structure at the begining of the drive so its contents can be easily read by windows again?

thanx..
  2. sundewzer

sundewzer TS Rookie Posts: 34

BartPE or WinPE might work.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.