TechSpot

2x Win XP Pro options during boot

By mikescorpio81
Apr 3, 2007
  1. Hi all,

I have noticed this problem on a few PC's after I software re-build them. After totally backing-up all necessary data and drivers on a PC, I am ready for a re-install of Win XP Pro. I insert the disk as per usual and begin the re-install process. I always opt for a full NTSC format after deleting the original OS partition and creating a new one. It takes a while to format but usually ensures a clean build.

Once Win XP is fully re-installed, configured and at the desktop stage for the first time, the next time I reboot I get an option during the boot phase to choose which OS to boot to ... both say the same: Windows XP Professional.

It is not a big deal, in that the first option always boots up OK, but I would like to get rid of this during boot as it confuses some clients.

It doesn't happen all the time, but out of 10 it would happen around 2-3 times.

If anyone knows how to avoid or fix this problem please let me know.

Cheers

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Do you mean NTFS?
    You get this when there is not a clean reformat. It only happens when Windows detects software on the drive that was not removed by the format. Do a full format, not the quick format, then shutdown, and reboot to the Windows disc to install Windows.

3. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 293

lol! Sorry, I typed NTSC instead of NTFS! Thanks Raybay, I had a DVD from the States on my mind! :)

I did a full format the first time around, as I hardly ever choose a quick format (I use quick if the drive is brand new). This is not the first time I have seen this dual-OS option during boot.

Do you think the answer would be to do a full format twice or more even?
    I can't just re-format the PC in question as it is fully re-build now and operational.

Thanks for your reply :grinthumb

4. NRJ

NRJ TS Rookie Posts: 19

u can edit the file called boot.ini. Open it with notepad. There will be 2 lines that will look the same. Now it is up to you which line to delete and then save the file. Now I don't know which XP is the new one, so can't tell you which one to delete.

5. mikescorpio81

Thanks, I'll look into that & let you know how I go.

6. russ

russ TS Rookie Posts: 39

Probably if it boots the same with any option you choose then you can just "rem" one of the options.

7. mikescorpio81

It does not boot if you choose second option.
    rem'ing out the line in the boot file might work, I will be testing this today and let you all know how it goes.

Cheers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.