3.0 Prescott problem with heat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappydotcom

i just bought a new Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 processor, and it runs at idle temp 65-67C, under load it hits around 74C maybe more, i use an A-Bit Intel ICH5R Socket 478 motherboard and my heatsink/fan cooling is TR2TT TR2-M12 80mm Ball CPU Cooler so im wondering what i could possibly do to fix this heat problem before my system melts. any emails, comments would be helpful with real help answers thank you.

link to processor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027

link to heatsink/fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106606

PS i checked the Arctic Silver i placed and it is right, i also checked the heatsink position and seems right, im not sure what else it could be but its cooking my whole system and causes me to lag heavily in game....

try touching the heatsink if its hot that means that you should remount your heatsink if that dosnt work try another heatsink that fitsin a socket 478 (if you have one lying around) also if the heatsink isnt hot it could be a temp sensor on your mother board that is fualty

touched heatsink finger singed beyond recognition.....

further checked to see if it was mounted right, and it fits just fine, the heatsink/fan i got was the one recommended at www.newegg.com so i bought it with the processor, also im not sure if its the motherboard reading wrong because i touch the side of the tower even and its burning hot and so is my motherboard, video card, power supply.... any more ideas would help please, thanks for the help so far.

did you physicaly remove the acctual heatsink or jusst gave it a 360 inspection?? also if you applied to much thermal paste it acts like a inuslator instead of a condoctor.

used one BB sized drop of Arctic Silver, and not a 360 inspection, three times today ive removed it and turned it to see which way fit best

im a new pc builder, so bare with me, but when i go to BIOS i check fan speeds and it reads 2600 roughly on CPU fan, is that ok ? and also when i go to alter speed percentage it tells me 60,70,80, 90%'s ... so can you tell me step by step what to do please.

well im not to fimiliar with your bios as almost every bios is a bit diffrent but try making your fan spin at 100% if you can then check the temp also watprogram or item are you using to check your temp??

well everytime i logon to my pc i go to bios and check the temps in there... plus while on the desktop i use Speedfan 2.48, to check the temps, and the max percent i can set my fan speed thing to is 90%... not sure what it is, lemme go see my bios then ill come back with details on exact word usage and numbers.

in the mean time tell me, does the FSB of the motherboard and CPU matter alot if theyre different ?

well the motherboard should be compatible with the fbs of your processor like my mother board supports fbs of 800/1066/1333 like that your processor has a fbs of 800 so some were on the box of your motherboard there should be a part that says its compatile fbs 's

thats the problem the FBS of my CPU is 800, but my motherboard was OEM, and i have no idea of the FBS... and its no longer on Newegg.com to find out =s if theres anyway you could find my motherboard? i have a list of specs a friends gave me on the motherboard... ill put here

they are as follows:

Technical Features: Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 8 • Serial Port x 1 • RJ45 Lan Port x 1 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 • Floppy Port x 1

Expansion Slots: PCI x 5 • AGP Pro x 1

Storage Controller Type(s): Serial ATA x 2, DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) x 2

South Bridge Chip: Intel ICH5R

Processor Socket Type: Socket 478

Max supported CPUs qty: 1

Memory Type: DDR SDRAM

Number of Memory Slots: 4 x 184 Pin DIMMs

Supported RAM speeds: 400 MHz

Max Supported RAM: 4 GB

Audio Output: Sound Card

Integrated Audio: C97 Audio Codec

Audio Input: Microphone Jack • 1 x Line In

Video Interface: AGP 8x

Networking Type: Network adapter

Other Features: Hyper Thread Technology Ready • Dual Channel Memory Architecture

i did some research on your mother board and i fouind out that your motherboard supports 800 fbs so your in the clear but did u get any succes on puting your fan speed to 100 or 90%

thanks for finding that out for me i feel slightly better now(no sarcasm, just real thanks) but um, no i set it to 90% speed... and when i hit F10 to save and exit i hit Y then enter and nothing screen stays frozen as if i cant exit anymore... ? any suggestions ?

try pressing the restart button theres no harm in that if it didnt save your settings it will just revert bak to your previous ones

ok fan set to 90% speed increase, and hit restart apparently it stayed saved...

but to a loss, my cpu still runs 66C idle, underload tops at 78C... it seems close to a burn out.. so im hoping you might have more advice ?

i mean everything seems fine to me, apparently all my parts match fine, all wires securely fastened right, would the power supply affect my cpu temp at all ? cause when i notice the temp rise on the cpu the whole pc starts to heat up bad...

try to turn off "smart fan" in your bios it will make all tour fans that are controlled by the bios run at 100%

(theres a second page now if you dont see it)

ok well i searched for the "Smart Fan" option with no luck, i could not find that option aywhere in my bios and also i set cpu fan speed to 90% it also asks me under it a target temp to put and i put 41C... to maybe force my pc to try and lower the temp but still nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back