TechSpot

3,3 Voltage Drop

By Karaban
Oct 28, 2005
  1. Hi folks,

When executing repeated memory read/writes to RAM, the 3.3 voltage monitor drops below 2.96 volts according to ASUS Probe. Lockups result. Is this due to a faulty/underpowered Power supply, the motherboard, the monitor or what??...

Karaban

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

the psu is at fault here. it is quite possible to have bad sensors, but if the machine locks up that is a clear indication of a psu problem.

give us some specs on your system and i could reccomend any number of good psus to choose from. remember that you want a name brand high quality model.

3. Karaban

Karaban TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here the specs:

350W psu unit
    Asus P5P800 with Intel 530 3,0 GHz processor
    512 DDR 400 RAM
    120 GB HDD
    Geforce 5600 128MB video card
    PCTV PCI TV card
    LG DVD-RAM
    LG DVD-ROM

I have the same problem while doin tests to RAM memory or video card, and both are runnig with 3,3V motherboard bus. Tests are running well (and everything is marking ok) but I think that then psu is overheating and system locksup.

Thank you for the reply. Karaban.

4. zephead

i reccomend getting a psu rated for at least 420w, remember to heed my previous advice on which models to choose.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

The PSU is certainly likely, but there's a huge misconception about how much power is really needed to run a system. I guess all those cheesy, off-brand PSUs have really given people a scare.

Recommended wattage calculator
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

I just wanted to recommend you keep an open mind and realize the PSU may not be at fault (although it very well could be). A failing motherboard might be responsible as well.

6. zephead

definitely. no-name psus are bad news...

7. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

I have a P5P800 with a CoolerMaster 350w Real Power PSU (one 18amp 12v rail,) it works great with about the same system as you. I think this is a great deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954
    it has the 24pin connector and two 18a 12v rails. I just got one for my new AMD rig and it seems to work well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.