TechSpot

By takaboku
Mar 4, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Who's going to be there with me on opening day for 'The 300'? I am looking forward to seeing this movie!!(and yes, I saw the original back in the 60's).

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

I have a feeling it is going to be an absolutely terrible movie, with good CGI.

3. takaboku

takaboku TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 138

I'm not expecting the movies to win an Oscar, but I do hope it's a good, good movie( i really hate droppin' 20 bucks on a so-so or a bad movie:mad: ).

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

If it was like Frank Miller's novel, it would be good.

But it's not - there are the usual Hollywood things added to it, such as queen Gorgo. In the novel she says only a couple of sentences on one page. That's all, no more is needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some token guys as well (black, asian, or whatever "minority" has to be pleased this time).

5. almac46

almac46 TS Rookie Posts: 27

'The 300' This is the answer I received when enquiring about train times at Amsterdam Main Railway Station some years ago......I didn't understand it then but maybe this movie will hold the key. Can't wait.

6. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

“…but large portions of the movie were made under Linux.”
    “Frank Miller is attached as an executive producer and consultant…and was shot mostly in bluescreen to mimic the original comic book.”

I think it will be grand.

7. Mictlantecuhtli

No, that would be a train that goes 300 km/h :p

8. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

I think it will be really good, or really over the top bad.

But am I willing to take that risk? Yea.

9. Sjbrand99

Sjbrand99 Banned Posts: 267

Well..... im going to check it out when it comes here. Hey, takaboku, 20 bucks to see a movie (£10) where do you go to see movies? HM royal cinema???
    Although in saying that I have payed 18 quid to see a movie in Leicester Square, and that was a s***y small screen anyway, AND i know that it costs alot more in other parts of London.

Oh, and almac46, where bouts in Fife do you live? I am intruiged... I used to live there and am curious. PM me.

10. takaboku

Hey Sjbrand99. I only go to AMC 24 to see movies. As for the 10quid, a ticket, popcorn and a drink cost 19 bucks. When I saw the first movie back in the 60's, it cost me less than dollar for everything and I got candy too.

11. Sjbrand99

Inflation eh? And over here EVERYTHING is expensive... thats why Brits like going on holiday because everywhere seems cheap compared to home. lol

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

13. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

I loved the graphic novel and the movie seems as good. Will go for it the day it releases here. :grinthumb

14. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,083

I didn't even know about till a couple of days ago when everyone was talking about it at lunch. When i said i didn't know anything about it they were in aw. I went home and "youtubed" the trailer, and wasn't impressed..at all. I guess it's just not kind of movie..idk.

15. takaboku

But you do have free medical... I'm going to San Diego this year and New York City next year and things are not cheap in either city. Heck, gas here has gone back up to $2.40 a gal:mad:

16. takaboku

What kind of movies do you like??

17. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

It's based on a graphic novel written by Frank Miller, the same guy who wrote Sin City. If you liked Sin City's disturbing, violent noir-style vision then you might like 300 as well.

1 person likes this.
  18. almac46

almac46 TS Rookie Posts: 27

Sjbrand99.
    I Live in Kirkcaldy,

19. Sjbrand99

No way!
    I lived in Easter Kirkton. My House looked over the Tay on to the *beautiful* view of Dundee. Lol.
    Wierd eh? Few posters here from Scotland and we happen to know the location.

20. twite

It's more like what kind of movies don't i like, that would narrow it down a whole lot more. I don't like sword fighting type movies (sorry for my ignorance if there is a name for those). I personally think that they are just waaay to boring, and way to predictable. I also find sword fighting very boring mostly because the same thing always happens in the end, but also in part because it is way overused in movies. Instead of putting any storyline in, they just have a bunch of people fighting the whole time. I know there is more to the movie then just sword fighting (obviously)..but idk..just not interested.

21. Mictlantecuhtli

Does Linux make movies somehow better than other movie-making-thingies?

22. Sjbrand99

Known as "action" movies. Lol

*Offence not intended*

Personally, I am really into my movies and can sit back and watch almost anything, however thrillers are my fav. Being in the film industry myself I am interested in this thread, however I do have my doubts about the 300.

23. twite

That is a very, very broad category. There are many action movies i like that don't involve sword fighting.

24. Sjbrand99

Agreed, however the "Predictability" part remais a constant in action weather it is sword, guns, or futuristic lasers!

25. takaboku

I like all types of movies: action, chick flicks, scifi, mysteries, thrillers and old classics. I don't like the gore movies. I saw the 1st "saw" and didn't care for it too much. The main reason I want to see "The 300" is it sorta, at least to me, like a landmark film in a small way. It might be like when I saw my first movies in color, The Wizard of Oz(for the longest time i couldn't stand monkeys..), King Kong, my first James Bond film, the spaghetti westerns, The Wild Bunch with blood flying all over the place, Star Wars.... I guess I'm just hoping to feel like a kid at the movies again.:bounce:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.