3000ft wireless range connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I am trying to beam a wireless signal to my friend who is approx 3000ft away, in a somewhat open space (2-3 houses in between, a couple sparse trees). My idea is to purchase a pair of cantennas (12db 30degree beam) to make the connection.

We did manage to get a max signal of 20 on NetStumbler using a 120degree sector antenna on my side, and a 6db usb mini panel style antenna on a laptop on their side. So hopefully a pair of good cantennas could up the signal?

I would just like to hear an opinion or 2 before we shell out the money for the cantennas.

Also, i'm wondering if height makes a difference? (ie--buying some good LMR400 and running a 25ft cable to put a cantenna on the roof instead of indoors?)

Thanks.

i think it's more line of sight
and some IT students managed to fire a signal ov 40,000 ft
do search here I post links last week
I am sure if you stay away from other signals it would work better
my short hal modems for rs 432 have to be away from fluresent light ballasts
so I think your WI-FI plans are close
correction just found this wifi shoot out

Thanks for that info. I do believe using the 2 cantennas should allow for a suitable connection.

What i still can't figure out is how some people report getting long distance links using omni antennas..... at another location i have tried an 8db fibreglass and a 15db fibreglass mounted on a roof using LMR400 cable in clear LOS..... and i simply can't get any useable distance from the omnis whatsoever. I would love to use an omni because it would make the pointing process from the opposing cantenna much easier.

hmmmmm i just had another thought.

Perhaps i'd be better off using 2 AP's in bridge mode, rather than my friend installing a wireless pci card in their desktop........ the AP on their side would have higher mw output, and should provide a stronger link.

I wonder though if we'd both need to do rooftop antenna installs to get just above the buildings in between us and make a clearer LOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back