32 or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Can someone please tell me which version of Windows Vista is better? 32 bit or 64 bit? I have got a Pentium 4 640 which supports both of them, but I don't know what version to choose!Also, in 64 bit version, is there any problem with games? Will I have any trouble to install or play them?
Thanks in advance

Better means: quicker,safer etc

Your best bet for compatibility is Windows Vista 32 bit simply most games are designed for 32 bit operating systems. Games usually require 2GB of memory these days in a 32 bit system. 64 bit operating systems require twice the memory of a 32 bit OS to derive the same benefit, so unless you already 4GB of memory or more I'd leave any 64 bit OS alone.

Cinders said:
64 bit operating systems require twice the memory of a 32 bit OS to derive the same benefit
What benefit is that?

You can install XP x64 or Vista x64 on a PC with 512 MB of RAM if you want to.

Cinders said:
64 bit operating systems require twice the memory of a 32 bit OS to derive the same benefit...
This is the first I've heard of that.

I'd run the 64bit OS. It will run just as well, and when someone convinces you you need 4 gigs of RAM you'll actually see 4 gigs of RAM and won't have to come here creating a post about why you are only seeing 2.93 or some other number less than you expect.

Vista x64 would be your best choice. Keep in mind though that if you want to download any program, make sure you download the x64 version, since that's what will work with a 64-bit OS. XP x64 is way to buggy still to recommend and if it were not that way, it would be my first recommendation.

OH YEAH! I mean.... OH YEAH!

I'm just kidding. I read that 64 bit operating systems require twice the memory of 32 bit operating system.

I've been looking for the article I read a while back so I could point to it with a single prissy one line post but I can't seem to find the article... yet. :) BUT when I do you can expect me to prance back out here and defend myself with a one line post, and maybe the words EAT IT underneath the link. I don't know yet. Maybe I'll just be practical and concede the argument right now.

OH YEAH! My FRIEND told me about it. His name is Jesus. His name is not pronounced Hey Zeus, but GEE SUS. You know, like our Lord and Saviour. Jesus can't be wrong can he? He gave me the information while I was astral projecting one night. I was pretty close to the sun and the heat was intense, but I'm very sure he told me to be wary of Windows Vista 64 bit OS memory requirements. How was that for a concession?

512 MB of memory are you nuts? You could install the operating system but you wouldn't be happy with the speed of your computer. Everybody I've talked to says you really need 2GB or more for Vista.

LOL Cinders, Miclantecuhtli said you could install it on a system with that much RAM. He never said anything about it running spiffy now did he? ;)
BTW, LMAO at the Jesus argument! :grinthumb

Hi guys

Jumping into your debate;

I have been running the trial version of XP x64 for sometime now and so far I am not overly impressed! Doesn't seem any faster than the 32 bit XP (though I am only using 2gb RAM) and it has a lot of glitches, particularly it won't pick up my home network or NAS drive!

Is the trial software exactly the same as a normal copy of XP x64? My trial period is nearly up and I am looking to buy a new OS, don't want Vista yet (or do I??) so my choice is between XP 32bit or XP 64bit. Would it be worth me going for the 64bit version or will i experience the same compatibility issues I have had using the trial software?

Yes XP 64-bit is as bad as the trial I'm afraid. It's the only reason I switched to Vista x64. Vista may be a resource hogger, but at least it'll allow me to use all my RAM and be stable at the same time. Since you don't have more than 3GB of RAM, don't get XP x64, get the 32-bit version instead. If you're looking to upgrade that amount, get Vista x64 instead.

If I opt for Vista x64 then I will def be adding an extra 2gig of RAM and probably upgrading my graphics card too. Don't know if its really worth the expense yet though. Is connecting to a network/NAS straight forward through Vista?

Decided to go for Vista professional x64 plus another 2gig of RAM and a 1950XT graphics card. Don't know how I've ended up going from planning to spend around £60 to spending £250!! :)

64 bit is good for more than 2gb ram. But i prefer 32 bit at the moment, because not many programs are compatible for the 64 bit. :(

Please note:
Rather than making a new post when there are no other replies in between, please use the edit button.

Thanks

Regards Jase :)

Jase123 said:
Please note: Rather than making a new post when there are no other replies in between, please use the edit button.

Thanks

Regards Jase :)

Ok, fair point. Will do that in future.

Jase123 said:
64 bit is good for more than 2gb ram. But i prefer 32 bit at the moment, because not many programs are compatible for the 64 bit. :(
I disagree. I believe every 32bit program for Windows works just fine in 64bit Windows. The things that don't are 32bit drivers, and for Vista that isn't an issue really. It is more of an issue in XP 64bit.

I've had Vista x64 running for a couple of weeks now and still can't see my file server. I managed to find it once when I was playing around with the adhoc wireless network settings in Vista and had my laptop in the same room - hasn't worked since though!

Can anyone think of a reason for this not working? Could it be an issue with Vista being 64bit? My PC is at the other side of my house (but has an excellent wireless signal) to the file server, could the distance be an issue?

This is really starting to grate on me - i went the file server route as i thought it would simplify my media streaming! - any help would be greatly appreciated??

Okay, assuming you had 4gb of memory. What makes Vista 64bit better than Vista 32bit? Is it solely about security?

Otherwise, I suppose a features comparision chart would work ;)

Raz

vista 32bit has a memory remapping issue, so it if you have more than 3gb ram it won't use the extra ram 'cause it won't see it. microsoft claims that the 64bit version is +4gb ram cappable, but i haven't worked on wista 64 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back