TechSpot

320GB Seagate only rec. 132GB.

By Savage1701
Dec 12, 2006
  1. I have a Seagate 320GB ATA 100 drive connected to the primary IDE channel on an Asus P4-C800E Deluxe Motherboard. I have never encountered this before on the other C800E Deluxes I have built, but this board will only recognize the drive as about 132GB. Windows XP Pro installer will only recognize it at the same capacity under NTFS. I suspect this is drive-related since this machine will recognize a 250GB USB drive just fine. Is there anything I can do to get my OS to recognize the full capacity of this drive? When it was in a USB enclosure my other CPU's recognized it as a 320GB drive, so I'm not sure what's up. Could it be my IDE cable? I'm not getting any delayed-write errors which is what has happened before when I used a 40-conductor where I needed an 80-conductor cable. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

What size does the BIOS recognise the drive as?

3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 153

48 LBA - I set it manually thinking it was not recognizing the boundary.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Disk size is measured in gigabytes :)

If you forced LBA in BIOS, then the next step is to make sure it is enabled in the OS. The install CD - is it XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2?

5. Savage1701

No need; for some reason between last night and this morning it decided to recognize the rest of the drive. No clue. Maybe a change in the lunar phase? :)

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

That would be either a week too early or a week too late.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

8. Savage1701

It was probably a service pack thing. I was using an older version of XP Pro installer but after SP2 and about a thousand updates installed themselves the rest of the drive space was available. Thanks.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

that's what the FAQs are for! You're welcome.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.