32MB Geforce 256 Improvement??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilC2005

Hi there, I have recently acquired a Hercules 3d Prophet Geforce 256 32MB AGP 4x card. The card manages ~10fps on Battlefield Vietnam with lowest settings, this is playable however could be improved.
I know the problem is with the card as I run this with an Athlon 1400 and the results are the same as in my brother's Pentium 700mhz.
I have heard about a way of hardware-modding it to a Geforce Quadro by changing some resistors but I have been unable to find out exactly which, and how much performance gain would I get from this?
Also only half the memory slots on this card are full and I have located a source of the memory chips, would I just be able to solder them in and then flash the bios to upgrade to 64MB?? How much more performance would this bring??

This is a piccie of the card
This is exactly the same card as I have, it has RAM in the slots on the bottom but not on the top.

geforceru-phophetsdrlarge.jpg

Image Source GamePC.com

Doing all that work to add 32mb ram will not help you in performance. If you want to play the latest games, you will need a better card.

Sean

unless you're an engineer or someone with a great understanding of electronics, messing with a board in that manner is a sure-fire way to break it. you'll also need special parts and tools to complete the job. i agree with spade, get yourself a better card (you should be able to get a few bucks for yours).

cheers guys, i guess I was being a bit ambititous, I think I might just try o/cing this one for a bit and save up for a complete computer upgrade, as I only have AGP 4x capability.

I've always wondered...Whats the difference between a Geforce and a Quattro, I don't understand why Nvidia needs to make two different brands of cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back