39$ psu and a 130 doller psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisdurrani

Just need a lil infor before buying a PSU

i saw a 550 W psu for just 39 dollers ... and some for over 130...
Whats the major difference between the two isnt voltage the same ?

becaues the 39 bucks one had like 3 cooler fans

The main differences between a cheap psu, and a more expensive psu is quality, and reliability. Whilst the voltages my be the same, the ability of a cheap psu to supply that voltage/amps under load is not.

A good quality psu will normally achieve an efficiency of around 70%, but a cheap one will struggle to reach anywhere near that.

A good quality psu, is one of the most overlooked pc parts. You only have to look at these forums, to realise a lot of pc problems are caused by cheap unstable psu`s.

By getting a cheap psu, you`re more than likely storing up problems for a later date, not to mention the possibility of damage to your entire system, should something go wrong. Sadly all to often this is what happens.

Take a look HERE at this excellent article on psu`s.

Not only does it give recommendations on which psu`s are good, but more importantly which psu`s to avoid.

Regards Howard :) :)

hey thanks for the reply that was a pretty good article..
just one more question..

Is it ok to use 550 W even though its not really needed or will it just fry the computer

My computer specs
AMD athlon 3200 + 64
Asus. K8N-E deluxe nforce 4 Pci-express
Radeon X800XL
1024 DDR ram

harrisdurrani said:
hey thanks for the reply that was a pretty good article..
just one more question..

Is it ok to use 550 W even though its not really needed or will it just fry the computer

My computer specs
AMD athlon 3200 + 64
Asus. K8N-E deluxe nforce 4 Pci-express
Radeon X800XL
1024 DDR ram
Under-powered frys your computer much more efficiently.

your PSU is a power converter, it converts power in AC to power in DC and maintain the intended regulated output voltages to the specified specs. The PSUs do so by controlling the output current matching the ouput loads.

When there is NOT sufficient input power nor output power to maintain voltage, the current will head toward infinity to compensate (equivalent to a complete shorting out)... The amount of current which heads toward infinity is what burns out everything.

No, you won't fry your PC. You system will basically draw what it needs from the PSU rather than the PSU spitting out it's entire capacity into your system.

I overlooked the importance of a PSU for quite a while when planning my new system. I found an article much like the one linked above and it changed my entire perspective and shed light on to the two system crashes I've had over the last 3 years. The case I bought for my new system came with a 450W PSU but I went ahead and purchased a $160 600w Enermax just to be safe. I had to shell out a little more than I wanted but it's completely worth it.

My specs:
P4 650 Prescott 3.4GHz
ASAU P5AD2-E Premium Mobo
Ultra DDR2 533 Dual Channel Memory (2GB)
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250GB Hard drives (x 4)
Connect 3D Radeon X850XT P Video Card
SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Sony DRU800A DVD DL writer
Phillips DL writer
Enermax 600w PSU
Aspire X-Navigator Case

which Psu should i get

so which psu should i get for the system that i have

AMD Athlon 64 300+
Asus K8N-E deluxe pci-e 16x
RADEON X800 XL
1024 (2x512) corsair ram
40 Gig Hard drive

I dont want it to exceed more than 65 dollers...
Thanks
Harris

lol i cant afford any of them ...

I dont think i have a system that needs a lot of power do i ?

AMD ahtlon 3200+ 64
Asus K8N-E deluxe pci-x 16x
Radeon X800 XL
1024 Ram
40 GB 7200 Hard drive

you need a minimum of 450 watts for newer systems. A small power supply will shorten the life span of your system, make it run excessively hot, and worse-case - burn it out. You get what you pay for..
You can't afford a decent PSU? You have an expensive system already! Protect your investment. Don't skimp on a PSU - it is the "heart" of a computer.
A lot of problems that seem unresolved can be caused by a bad or underpowered PSU.

Agreed. An extra 50 bucks on the PSU will most likely save you MUCH more in the long run, not to mention stress/headaches of trying to find out the cause of the problems that pop up from cheap PSUs.

If you look at the article I linked in my first post. You will see that Ultra psu`s are on the avoid list.

You said earlier that you didn`t want to spend more than about $65.

The Antec 430watt psu I linked in my post above is only $63.95

I know which one I`d be going for.

Regards Howard :)

Howard-- I don't think this guy even checked out the article. It basically answers all of his questions.

I say go for the cheapest, lowest wattage PSU you can find. The less the better. And keep your PC on 24/7.

Noyz3001 said:
Howard-- I don't think this guy even checked out the article. It basically answers all of his questions.

I say go for the cheapest, lowest wattage PSU you can find. The less the better. And keep your PC on 24/7.

Not everyone is computer savvy. That`s why we here at Techspot try to give good advice.

Obviously it is upto the person concerned whether to heed the advice given.

Please don`t take offense, but I don`t think your comments help. If you have something positive to say about this thread then by all means make a contribution.

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back