3Com Router Disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I bought this OfficeConnect Wireless SuperG Cable/DSL Router from 3Com. This piece was recommended by this swedish online store. Always bought stuff from them and nothing has been this bad. ;I

Anyway, if I put the network under some stress. Like downloading/uploading files or playing an online game, it disconnects me in 5-10 minutes.

So I have tried different settings with no luck at all. Another strange thing is that when I had the router at default settings and like 7-8 meters away, I could only get 11 Mbps. So I moved it only 1 meter closer and got 22 Mbps or something. I changed from "Mixed" to "Dynamic SuperG" and got almost 54 Mbps but very fluctuating. I moved the router only 4 meters from me and I got a contanst 54 Mbps. The router says it can work up to 122 meters indoor. ;I

There are no firmware upgrades either yet. There's so many settings that I don't have a clue about either. So I hope any of you people have the skill which I don't posess. :D

I bet there's something I have forgotten to tell you, so please just ask, I will check regulary.

I would keep hounding them for a firmware fix. Other than that, try adding
an external antennas, google 'wireless external antennas'

Yeah, I'll try to phone the support again and maybe write a letter or two. Weird thing is that some people seem to have no problem, while others do.

Thanks for the reply. :)

So I have talked to the support.

They changed some settings on the router for me, but that didn't work. They wanted me to disable my antivirus. Did that and it actually worked. I could play Counter-Strike for maybe 15 minutes. I quitted and did something else for a while. I started up CS again and it started to disconnect me again. So I uninstalled the AV and "Nvidia Network Manager" (which I don't even use). But that didn't work either. I started to think that "Ventrilo" was causing all this and played without it. Almost thought it worked but it did not.

So, I myself have tested almost all settings on the router. The 3Com guys themselves have tried different settings and I have uninstalled any software that would interfere with my connection (that I know would interfere in any way).

Seems to me like the router is either faulty or the firmware is totally worthless. ;I

I can't believe it's my cordless phone or microwave that causes this. Since the cordless phone has both been in use and stationed in it's "base" when I have tried to play or download from the internet. The microwave has never been used for what I know. Besides, I have the router 5 meters from the cordless phone and 3 meters away from the microwave. Shouldn't that be enough?

In CS you have a "Net graph" which you can see any latency problems. If I play and answer my cordless phone, I would see the graph change and indicate a huge lag. Same thing when I hang up. But everything is normal when the phone is not in use. That also suggests it has nothing to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back