3D-printed Iron Man Mark III replica suit can be yours starting at $2,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fully iron man mark iii iron man

Update: As it turns out, the whole thing may have been a scam. Iron Man Factory's website is currently "down for maintenance" and the original YouTube concept video has been pulled due to a copyright claim by Marvel Entertainment. What's more, this YouTuber outlines how the promo video was full of clips and images from other users and most of the gear was foam, not 3D printed as claimed.

A company by the name of Iron Man Factory is now accepting pre-orders for a fully functional (well, mostly) Iron Man suit. Designed for people ranging in height between 5’5” to 6’1”, the seven-pound suit (which isn’t officially licensed from Marvel) contains enough integrated gadgets to ensure you will more than likely win best costume at your next Halloween costume party.

Superhero aficionados will most certainly appreciate the Mark III’s sensor-controlled motors (powered by one AAA battery) used to activate “thrusters” on the back and slide open the helmet. The carbon fiber polymer suit – with a cushioned interior for added comfort – even comes equipped with metallic joints and an LED lighting system but unfortunately, no lasers.

The company is running a crowdfunded campaign to raise enough money to bring the suits to production. They’ll need at least 50 pre-orders to move forward, we’re told, with production taking between six to eight months. Pricing for the suit varies depending on which option you select.

For example, the 3D-printed helmet alone sells for $1,299 while the full armored suit commands $1,999. In the event you simply can’t wait eight months, you can order a 3D-printed version of the suit which requires just three to four months of production lead-time. Of course, time is money and you’ll need to plunk down a hefty $35,000 to get it ahead of schedule.

Either way, the company said no cards will be charged until orders ship. All payments are being handled via Stripe, FYI.

Permalink to story.

Article hasn't been posted 10 minutes and the video is all ready shown to be removed from Youtube over copyright infringement issues with Marvel. Must not have been a video of the 3D printed suit.

I was gona say here comes the lawsuit ... then I clicked on the video and it reads
"This video is no longer available du to copyright claims...."

Article hasn't been posted 10 minutes and the video is all ready shown to be removed from Youtube over copyright infringement issues with Marvel. Must not have been a video of the 3D printed suit.
The video was gone yesterday already. TechSpot was just too slow :p
I managed to see it. Pretty neat..... wish I had money to burn....

If I did I certainly wouldn't bomb it away on an Iron Man suit.

If I did I certainly wouldn't bomb it away on an Iron Man suit.
ppffff, someones priorities are skewed... XD

I figured Marvel would drop a bag of legal hammers on these guys at some point... Wonder if they're going to just try to shut them down, or if they'll try to work out licensing and skim a percentage?

If it goes to production, you can count on seeing lots more Iron Man cosplayers at comic conventions and during Halloween... Which, I'm sure, will annoy the crap out of those guys who actually did all the work to build their amazing gear, only to have it fade into a crowd of mass produced versions.

At least Marvel can't say it was their idea if the suit is sold. Which in my opinion is why I think Marvel would rather the suit never makes it to market. Some people would kill anything just because it wasn't their idea or at least credited. I do however hope Marvel is willing to share credit. I'm personally not interested in having the suit, but that doesn't mean I think it should not be allowed.

Superhero aficionados will most certainly appreciate the Mark III’s sensor-controlled motors (powered by one AAA battery) used to activate “thrusters” on the back and slide open the helmet.

One AAA hmm, doesn't sound unlikely AT ALL.
Smells like scam for sure.

There you have it, it's all a scam. Damn but some people are unscrupulous. I don't know why their parents just didn't use a rubber.

Back