3D Program for beginner/intermediate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Im about beginner in 3D-modeling. Ive used Corel Dream year or couple ago and now i tried Vue 4.

I can use both programs pretty good (I guess), but according the pictures made by professionals, im not even close. Though ive seen many 3d-galleries and noticed, that either of those programs ive used arent really good. I guess Vue 4 is good for making nature/backgrounds for images (like the program says), but not for the whole images.

So I know the basics of 3D-modeling, but nothing more (like nothing about modeling a person/animal).

What would you suggest for a good starting program which would be good for beginning and also in future? I guess Im not targeting to professional level, so I dont need Maya or anything like that expensive programs. My goal is pretty much to be an average 3D-drawer without animation.

I dont want to use much money, but I know that the programs cost pretty much, so I guess I have to pay some (if there isnt any trial or demo versions available).

The good quality programs Ive noticed/read would be Lightwave and 3D Studio Max. But I have no idea how much they cost and how easy they are to learn.

Thanks for answers.

They cost quite a lot actually. I think you can get academic pricing on Lightwave for around $900 and just a bit more for Max. From the description you gave of what you want to model I'd suggest you get a nurbs modeler - such as Lightwave, Maya, or on the cheap, Rhino3D. There are several others out there but these are the only ones that come to my mind. You can get academic pricing on Rhino for around $200. I hope you can get these applications via academic pricing because the cost is much higher if not.

FREE ...

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml
Maya Personal Learning Edition now available for Maya Complete 5
Maya Personal Learning Edition is a special version of Maya® software, which provides free access to Maya for non-commercial use. It will give 3D graphics and animation students, industry professionals, and those interested in breaking into the world of computer graphics (CG) an opportunity to explore all aspects of the award winning Maya Complete™ software in a non-commercial capacity. Available for Maya 5 on the Windows® 2000/XP Professional and Mac® OS X operating systems. Stay tuned for information about the availability of Maya Personal Learning Edition 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back