3D Spotlight, ads, and a slow loading site (Please Read)

3D Spotlight, ads, and a slow loading site (EVERYONE READ)

[size=3]EDITOR'S NOTE: TRUST ME, you WILL want to read this. You'll regret not doing so.[/size]
Hey all, I'm new to these forums. Can't say I'll be posting here much (sorry, I can only have so many forums under my belt ;)). But I did want to let you all know (both readers and those who run 3dspotlight) that if you're experiencing EXTREME slowness with the site loading (not sure about the forums), it's because of the ads and whatnot.

Seriously. I'm on a broadband connection, Win2k SP2 SRP1, tweaked out, IE6. The site used to load slow as *all heck, until I blocked one IP address with my firewall. (I'm sure LMHOSTS will do it too, but I've been having problems with it working 100% of the time).

Well, after blocking this addy, the site now loads in practically no time. I mean, wow. It's fast now. Before it would take a good 15-20 seconds to load (it was as if 3dspotlight was waiting for something before finishing loading). Now, it's practically instantaneous. There's something VERY wrong if that much of a difference was made from this.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to this IP address:

Oh, I just tested your other advertisers (media.fastclick or whatever) and they aren't the problem. Your site still loads quick with the ads from them enabled.

So yeah. Those who run the site, you may want to look into this. I know blocking the ads is FAR from what you want us to be doing. But still, this IS a problem. And it's not just my comp. I've loaded up the site in IE on a completely diff system before and it took just as long. Contact your advertisers, make them fix this problem. It's not your site, it's their code. Your site loads EXTREMELY fast with them gone (no, it's not the flash/images for the ads, it something in their code). I know the ads keep you running. But I doubt you wanted the tradeoff to be a slow loading site (okay, 5 seconds = understandable, 15-20 = ugh).

Oh yeah, this also produced no more popups either for me (naturally). :)

If anyone else has experienced a slow loading site, tell those in charge here. If they don't know, how can they fix it?

And hey, I'm not saying this site is bad. Far from it in fact. I'm just saying, that currently, there's a problem that should be looked into. And until it's fixed, I'm offering a solution for the readers.

Anyway, you all have a good one. See ya.

(*edited by mod)

From time to time particular ads can slow down the homepage loadtime. Usually Julio, the website admin, removes the ad while he looks for a fix.

Thanks for narrowing down which popup was causing the issue. I actually experienced the same as you earlier today but the slowdown has seemed to go away. When Julio checks this out he'll be sure to look into it.

Well, from what you have said it doesnt seem that we'll see you around much but welcome to 3DS anyways..

That's odd. I've been surfing the site using Mozilla (98% of the time), IE6, IE5.5 and I don't seem to experience any of the slow downs when a popup appears. I'm on 56k most of the time BTW.

But thanks for the info on that.

Originally posted by lokem
That's odd. I've been surfing the site using Mozilla (98% of the time), IE6, IE5.5 and I don't seem to experience any of the slow downs when a popup appears. I'm on 56k most of the time BTW.

But thanks for the info on that.

Well, it's not when the popups appear, it before the page actually displays itself (I'll get the blue background, and then it'll wait for a bit before finishing).

Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

Well, it's not when the popups appear, it before the page actually displays itself (I'll get the blue background, and then it'll wait for a bit before finishing).

Know what you mean.. I had the same problem in Opera... Though it was fixed by hitting esc once in a while :)

Originally posted by ToastGodSupreme

Ahh.. I get what you mean now ;) I didn't realise that coz I'm always at another browser window when the page is loading....

Back