TechSpot

3DMark benchmarking app comes to iOS, allows for Windows, Android comparisons

By Justin Kahn
Sep 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Futuremark released its performance benchmarking app 3DMark for Android back in April, and now the company has launched the iOS version previously listed as "coming soon."

Read more

2. You know, what I don't get is why this application is even necessary? What kind of games do you intend on playing on a smartphone, or for that matter tablets, that would require significant graphical performance? Firstly the screens size would literally irritate the hell out of me, and secondly the control input is laughable at best for anything but the most basic games. So again, I ask, what is the relevance of putting a benchmarking application on a device that wont necessarily be used for more than the most arbitrary tasks. This is not computing, this is not even pretending to be computing, so why would anyone care what their phone/tablet can output in terms of graphical power? I can understand the allure of doing so on a PC, as the games on that platform actually do push the boundaries, and the fact that people can boast about new components that have been swopped out for better ones, but in a phone or tablet, you cant do that, you just toss it out and buy a new one, so where is the challenge, blood, sweat and tears of building a rig that actually makes this type of benchmarking worthwhile?

So to some this all up, This is categorically, un ostensibly, the most pointless application anyone can install on their phone or tablet. I even find it rather pointless to install this on laptops, unless its the gaming variety, but I digress...

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,207   +776

Great, wonderful, stupendous, fantas... Hold on a second... I'm no Apple fan, I had better read the article again... **3 minutes later**... Oh! I though it was something to get excited about but I was mistaken.

BlueDrake likes this.
  4. JPSika08

JPSika08 TS Rookie

With applications such as this, manufacturers can use it as an additional parameter to market their products from other brands; maybe if you like to play a lot of games would see this app as a beneficial tool to compare tablets from each other and decide on which because of that result.

5. rocklobster

rocklobster TS Rookie

It's just made to show how powerful the device is compared to others. It'll illustrate the difference between PCs and phones and it'll also allow people to find out which phone is the more powerful one.

6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

As long as you have two people with two similar things, there will be some who are willing to try and race them against each other and see who's is best. Benchmark platforms are the drag strip of the graphics processor's world.

In other news, someone get me out of this Candy Crush Saga addiction on my smartphone!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.