3DNes emulator converts classic NES games into 3D on-the-fly

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It's no secret that there are a handful of excellent NES emulators to choose from to fuel your retro gaming needs but I guarantee you've never seen one quite like this.

As the name implies, the 3DNes emulator was written to take traditional 2D sprites and convert them into 3D. It's an ambitious undertaking that has a long way to go on the path of perfection (it's in beta right now) but the early results are certainly promising – more so in some games than others.

In the video above, you can see the effect at its finest in Mega Man, Castlevania and certain sections of Super Mario Bros. 3 (warp pipes and question mark blocks, for example, look great). More complex games like Contra, however, reveal the emulator's shortcomings.

It's worth reiterating that this is a global conversion happening on-the-fly versus rewriting the entire game from the ground up as a 3D title. Given more time to tweak the algorithm and maybe even tweak individual games will no doubt improve results exponentially.

The good news is that you can give the emulator a try for yourself right now. Rather than download an executable, 3DNes is currently offered as a web app and is only compatible with Mozilla's Firefox browser. Engadget says the current version is pretty unstable so don't be surprised if gameplay isn't exactly smooth sailing.

Permalink to story.

It would help seeing the games in dual-screen mode - before + after conversion. Otherwise we are mostly guessing at how much better it becomes.

I don't really get all the negativity for 3D and VR. They are not something I will invest in, but my available options for non 3D and VR are no less having them available for those who do. I will only complain if my options for not having them start to dwindle. That's something allot of people can't seem to understand about my complaints for Microsoft.

I don't really get all the negativity for 3D and VR. They are not something I will invest in, but my available options for non 3D and VR are no less having them available for those who do. I will only complain if my options for not having them start to dwindle. That's something allot of people can't seem to understand about my complaints for Microsoft.
It was a comment about the fugly graphics in the picture. You misinterpret a lot of what I say and read things into it. I used precisely the words I intended and no interpretation was needed.

Ah, then no worries, carry on. :)

Before your comment there were only 2 peoples comments, so you were talking about this comment as hate for vr and 3d? "It would help seeing the games in dual-screen mode - before + after conversion. Otherwise we are mostly guessing at how much better it becomes."

Realizing your not the only one on the internet, priceless.

At least it would be worth it's weight in gold, a steamy pile of crap painted with gold paint is still just crap.
Lol with two posts made it was a 50-50 chance he was addressing my comment, since I said it was like a turd and the other comment asked for a side by side before and after, you figure which comment was more likely viewed as hate for vr and 3d.
Learning how to make logical deductions. Priceless.

Back