3dsmax.exe – Bad Image Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
The error Message:
3dsmax.exe – Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05\MFC80U.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

How the problem happened:

I’ve been working in Autodesk 3DS Max 9 for a few years now and one day I tried to open up the program and I received the error message above.

I think this is a Windows OS problem but I’m not sure

Since I have the student version of 3DS Max 9 there tech support won’t help me.

What I’ve tried so far:

1. I’ve uninstalled the program and reinstalled it with no change in the error.
2. I ran a virus and spyware scan using my McAfee security center and no files were detected.
3. I contacted the Autodesk support and they referred me to a student sight and did not received any response to my question. This site was completely worthless.
4. I contacted Dell’s support and my warranty ran out so they are going to charge me $49 for one time support for this issue. Who knows if they can solve the problem.

Do a search for: MFC80U.DLL
Probably a copy found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\VC\redist\Debug_NonRedist

Copy the MFC80U.DLL file from that directory to: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05\

Also confirm .NET (MS Updates) are completed in full (there was a new 250Meg update for this)

Any further issues have a look at:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Or try re-installing Autodesk 3DS Max 9

I just searched for the mfc80u.dll file and the search resulted in three of them showing up in the folder.
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05\MFC80U.DLL

Two of them are 1,095 KB and the third one is 0 KB.

They can't all have the same (exactly the same) file name, and reside in the same folder (an impossibility basically ;) )

So the file doesn't exist in your Program Files directory?

Also, I'm really thinking Virus/Malware activity (and it's a good idea to run the 8-Step removal guide anyway)

Is there a way to show you a screenshot of the search because they look exactly the same? Could this be the problem since there is only suppose to be one file?

I just ran a virus scan early today and it resulted in 0 files detected.

They're not the same
The 0kb one is likely MFC80U.DLL.pif (or something)
The other two must be in different folders (or have another extension, like ".dll.old" (who knows)

Anyway, you still have MS updates (custom .Net updates)
And re-install Autodesk to do
By the way, Malwarebytes (in the guide) is an excellent quick free Malware scanner ;)
And CCleaner wouldn't hurt too :)

Thanks but it didn't help much :(
The part that's under: In folder heading, has not been expanded. Which tells me that it's likely in separate folders

To view this yourself, you can expand the search folder by bringing your mouse over to the small vertical bar, ie this one:
24ql1lc.gif

And then dragging it to the right
You can even drag the column all the way off the screen to the right, or let go and drag to the right again
Until it's fully expanded, showing you the residing directory ;)

I finally fixed it. Luckily my dad has the same operating system and he just emailed me the full KB .dll file which I then copies to the correct folder.

Thank you kinsland you helped point me in the correct direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back