TechSpot

4-4-4-12 ?-?-?

By peterock
Nov 20, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all I just bought this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565 which I'm running in this MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059 along with an E6750 and a 8800GT It says it's supposed to run at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2volts OK so whats this 4-4-4-12 timing thing anyway and how do I check to see what mines running at and how do I test the ram? I noticed on my windows type Bios it says my ram is running at 1.8 volts. Should I raise this to 2.2v or do I have to adjust the timing incojunction with the voltage? I don't think I want to overclock it, but just run it as it should. I do plan to overclock my cpu once the thrill of the new speed dies off. Do I have to have the bus speeds match?? Any help would be great. Thanks
  2. RedFox911

RedFox911 TS Rookie Posts: 94

If its running stable then i would keep it at what ever its running at,

The 4-4-4-12 is just the timing of the ram

It goes
    CAS=4
    TRCD=4
    TRP=4
    TRAS=12

it all depends on your ram.
  3. peterock

peterock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Yea it's stable as of now but I've read that leaving it set on a voltage too low will cause it to have problems down the road. Isn't the 2.2v setting what the manufacture wants it to run at? Is there a web site or something to download or test ram I don't remember the name but some kind of program that tests it? Shouldn't it be set to same bus speeds for optimim performance? Please forgive me as I'm new to this.......but I want to learn Thanks
  4. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

After you enter the BIOS on a Gigabyte board you either have to hit Alt+F1 or Ctrl+F1 to see the memory timings.
  5. RedFox911

That is somewhat true, And in that case i would just change the timings and voltages to the recomended settings.
  6. peterock

peterock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

What about the Bus I think I read in toms hardware somewhere that overclocking the cpu bus to 400mhz to match the rams bus or something like that.
  7. RedFox911

Im not shure about that, Sorry;/
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.