4 GB Video Limit????? MEESA SAD

By JHausma2002
Nov 14, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone, just a small prob with my movie making. It seems that whenever I want to create a video files, mpeg, avi etc it sets a limit after 4 gb. I have plenty of space, but it gives me a message saying you have run out of room on the hardrive when creating these files. Whever I look at the half complete file, it is 3.99 gb. is their some way to get around this??? I have WIN XP by the way.
  2. Go Figure

Go Figure Newcomer, in training

You are suffering from the wrong format syndrome. FAT32 is limited to 3.99Gb. Format a drive using NTFS. It is virtually unlimited. I am recording a full 60Gb on my RAID setup.

You can find more info at the microsoft knowledge base or visit PC editing forums for more info on that topic.
  3. JHausma2002

JHausma2002 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

ok

Ok thanks, how do I go about doing that. Also, is that going to affect my gaming, other computer applications, etc?
  4. vassil3427

vassil3427 Newcomer, in training Posts: 822

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Start/Run/cmd.exe

convert C: /fs:NTFS

Replace C: with the drive letter you want to convert to NTFS and this will do it for you, providing you are using Windows 2000 or XP

Keep in mind that while converting, you cannot specifiy cluster size. You will need a program like Partition Magic for this. The default cluster size during conversion is 512b, which is very small and may decrease hard disk performance slightly if you have a large drive with many files. The typical NTFS volume uses 4kb clusters. Larger is better, in terms of performance.
  6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Yeah, the best thing you could do is format an existing fat32 partition as ntfs. you will loose any data on there but will get the more sensible cluster size. larger can be better in terms of performance, but larger can also waste space. fat32 is great at this. choose the defaults with a fresh format and you will be fine. hopefully on your system you have a partitioning scheme where you will be able to do this.
  7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

the 4GB file size limit shouldn't effect your games, or anything else for that matter. Only movies. 4GB is already a pretty long movie...most people with FAT32 just make multiple files. You can do this, and should you decide to go with NTFS, you could just merge them all together.
  8. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Partitions are a computer user's best friend:grinthumb
  9. JHausma2002

k

K, while I'm pondering what to do, will this erase my harddrive?
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,423   +281

Simply converting, by typing in that command Rick gave (also in the link Phantasm66 gave), will not erase your hard drive. You will be able to go over 4Gb there. The best option though if you backup your data is to format it as NTFS, that will erase what you have.
  11. JHausma2002

k

Ok, I see. Hmmmmm, seeing as I'm not expert, are there any really negative effects from just doing it Rick's way?

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,423   +281

Just the disadvantage Rick mentioned, with you not being able to choose cluster size, like he said if you have a big drive with lots of files that small of a custer size might not be real efficient. If you have partition magic you can do it that way and specify sizes.
    If you are just a casual user that has big videos to create then it will work, its not the best way (formatting as NTFS would) but it will work.
    Also as always when playing around with these type of things backup any important data first, I actually have had a convert fail before, and its not pretty if you don't have things backed up. (another reason why multiple partitions are good).
  13. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Really? It depends on the compression. When I'm editing video clips, 4 GB is usually about 15 minutes of video.
  14. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

That's true if you record in AVI. Also ripping DVDs to your hard disk can take up 6gb or more.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.