4 gig file size limit on NTFS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Windows 2000 and am having a problem with a file size limitation. I have a TV card which allows me to record shows and store them on my hard drive. Originally my OS was on an NTFS drive, but I had the TV card store recorded shows on a firewire drive (FAT32). Whenever the recorded show used more than 4 gig, it was stored in two files (1 approx 4 gig, the other the remaining balance).

I found out the FAT32 file size limitation was 4 gig, so I took everything off the firewire drive, formatted it to NTFS, and copied everything back. However, even new shows that I record via the TV card are still splitting files that are larger than 4 gig. I double checked and the firewire drive is formatted to NTFS according to Windows 2000. Why am I still stuck with a 4 gig limit on an NTFS drive?

Any help is appreciated.

This is probably a limitation with your software.

The FAT32 file system has nothing to do with splitting your video files into 4GB segments.. The software does it. It is probably doing this for NTFS as well because it wasn't programmed to give NTFS any special consideration. Do you think this is a possibility?

Try looking for updates to update your exiting software or try new TV capturing software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back