4-Port USB 3.0 PCI-e card

1. http://www.dinodirect.com/pci-e-card-low-profile-high-speed-4-port-usb-3-0.html

So DinoDirect (a China-based website) has some items on clearance on their site, and I decided to take a chance and buy a 4 Port USB 3.0 PCI-e card. Put it in my pc and it works pretty well so far, only problem is I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test on it. Has a VIA Technologies USB 3.0 chipset and is powered with a 4 pin Molex connector.

Like I said, since I don't have anything that's USB 3.0 (though that may change soon, may pick up a 3.0 external from work) all I could test with was a USB 2.0 portable hard drive. Which, gladly, performs just as well (if not ever so slightly better) than the USB 2.0 controller built into my motherboard. Write speeds were about .1 MB/s faster (create file was slightly over 1 MB/s faster) On the 3.0 compared to the 2.0 on my mobo, but read times were about 2 MB/s slower (Tested with DiskBench. Keep in mind I only did 1 Write, 1 read, and 1 create file on each port, so not an accurate representation of the overall performance).

One big issue with it though... the included driver cd doesn't have compatible drivers, oddly enough. Contains Fresco Logic drivers as well as Renesas ones, neither of which work with the VIA chipset. However... looked around for about two hours, and found out you can use the drivers for the VIA USB 3.0 controller on EVGA's P67 FTW mobo for this, download here. Use Device Manager to update the driver, and browse manually to the folder you extract from the download that is linked, and it works just fine.

I do a lot of shopping from these China-based sites, and DinoDirect has so far gotten my orders shipped out a lot faster than anyone else (in the same region). So for the 17 bucks, I say it's not a bad buy, especially if you need USB 3.0 ports in your pc. Just, if you think you're gonna want this I would advise you get it soon since it's clearance... they're likely not going to have them for too much longer (at least, I would think).
  2. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

That's not a bad deal ... most of the USB 3.0 cards are 2 port. I have a USB 3.0 Verbatim 2TB external which came with the card; performance is just a bit below Sata II ... major improvement over USB 2.0.
  3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,317   +117

Everything's always on sale (i.e. they're never really on sale) at Dinodirect.
  4. plasma dragon00

plasma dragon00 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 192

Actually ran into one tiny issue this morning with it. Windows didn't detect it at all when I turned my rig on this morning. A reboot fixed this, though.
  5. toemage

toemage Newcomer, in training

wow i like deals. thanks

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.