40 GB disappeared overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizerist

Hi, something weird happened.
Last night, I left my computer on to finish some downloads.
my downloads folder in on drive C. At some point last night a window kept coming up:
"AVG Email Scanner: connecting to (loads of numbers and letters)sky.bbs". (It was a pop3 email thing - I only ever use Hotmail.)
This came up time after time. I didn't think anything of it. When i woke up today, the Email message was still popping up. Then, I was browsing my folders, and my other drive (E) has gone down to 186 MB. There should have been 40 gb+.
I am sure it must have been because of this Email scanning thing. It had never come up before.
Anyone else heard of this? When I browse the contents of drive E, the folder sizes don't add up. There should be far far more space than what there is.
I cleared the drive E recycle bin. It wasnt that.

What can I do to find where this missing space has gone?

"Last night, I left my computer on to finish some downloads"

What were the downloads. Last person who did this was d/l from BitTorrent and got into a large amount of trouble!.

Here is the site for sky.bbs: http://www.sky81.net/bbs/resbbs.cgi
But the IP, 24.28.193.9 is for Road Runner HoldCo LLC , nothing to do with Hotmail.

So you're going to have to define the problem more clearly. IF you left the computer on and if you were getting mail from a RoadRunner sender, AVG would scan the mail just like any other ISP.

I was downloading from BitComet. Legally.

In that case then, what apps will show me exactly where my drive space has gone?

Diskcleanup.

One path is :

start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options > System Restore

Or:

Control Panel> System> System Restore tab> CHECK 'turn off System restore'

This drops all the old SR points.

It is risky if your PC is playing up, but you must turn it on again after clearing all the (useless) system restore points and carry on as normal from there.

Open your explorer for your E drive, do a sort by date and see what all got downloaded and is taking up that space you are looking for that happened on that given day and see if this gives you any clue as to what came in that night that used up that 40gb of space. Best to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back