403 Error, not a certain site and not a virus, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LxTrix

Ok this started after i had my internet turned off (bill issues) an hour later i got it turned back on. I have comcast. I use Mozilla Firefox but have to use Internet Explorer for some sites. I have 7.0. I opened it up and it said the following:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005 on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at go.microsoft.com Port 8100"

It says this for every single site in IE. Firefox works fine though. I currently don't have a firewall. I take good care of my computer otherwise so i dont think it's a virus. Thls only happened after i paid my bill and they turned my internet back on.

I tried reseting the internet options, deleting cookies and temporary internet files, reinstalling internet explorer. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Actually I'd start by getting rid of all the temp files stuff with CCleaner

Start ->run ->inetwiz

It's just Internet Explorer remembering the old (now gone) settings

You can also try
Start
Run
CMD
OK
ipconfig /FlushDNS

and

ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

And test Internet Explorer again

kimsland said:
Actually I'd start by getting rid of all the temp files stuff with CCleaner

Start ->run ->inetwiz

It's just Internet Explorer remembering the old (now gone) settings

You can also try
Start
Run
CMD
OK
ipconfig /FlushDNS

and

ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

And test Internet Explorer again

did just as you said, but nothing has changed.... -_-

You may need to reset your modem/router to defaults again, then resetup

I wonder if your could create another user account say Test-IE, and check if IE works from that account.

how to i reset my modem besides turning it off and on? and i dont know what u mean bt make another account

You should be able to log into your modem through internet explorer (ironically) or firefox,
it's usually something like http://192.168.1.1 but this will be in your modem/router manual (the default ip) running ipconfig from a command line should show your default gateway too.

The user accounts are in control panel under users select this and create a new administrator account called test logoff and logon to the new account after some setting up (automatically)
click on start then internet explorer
tell me if you get online.
Obviously logoff, and logon to your original account after that.

it works when i made a new account, awww that means i should just transfer everything to a new account huh?

For some reason my posts, don't format correctly, so I end up editing them to show it properly (so if you get a new response, and it looks all horrible, I'm editing and making it good - just refresh the screen after 30 secs)

Well I've done that before.

But..

You should be aware that many licence keys may not work:

What that means is Office; Antivirus; Games and really a whole lot of stuff, may need re-setting up.

Therefore most support people say, we need to fix the fault on your user account.
But it is true to say, that it will be cleaner, to have another account.

What are your thoughts?

By the way is IE magically working in the original account now?

well i dont use the internet for much of anything else, this problem only seems to affect IE, so thats not a big issue, i'd have allot to transfer tho, so i dont mind fixing it but it doesn't seem to be an easy fix and no it doesn't work in this account

Really it just tells me that IE 7 is at fault
(not your modem/router or anything else)

Therefore I'd download IE7 again
(you may need to get this on your other user account and copy it to c: that way, you can see it easily).

Then go to add/emove programs and fully uninstall microsoft internet explorer (on your original account)
Also go to add/remove windows components (in windows Xp) and fully uninstall IE from the list (just untick it) apply ok

Then restart (logging into your original account) and install IE7 again
Then test

By the way, you can remove the new account in users in control panel if you like.

okay so i was having trouble completely removing IE so i wnt into into options and looked around and found that in connections>lan setting

under proxy server i had this

address: actsvr.comcastonline.com

port 8100

i unchecked it and it now works.....so that was pretty aggravating

but i'm glad its fixed i'ma install IE7 now, thanks for all the help ^_^

Ok that's fantastic

I should've asked for an IPCONFIG /ALL screen dump
But, you got there already (checking properties)
Network issues

I hope I helped anyway.

Please remove the new User Account to, you do not need to save the use files (when asked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back