TechSpot

420w PSU?

By JamesPromIII
Mar 24, 2010
  1. I'm getting a 9800gtx next month and I was wondering if I could get away with using a 420w PSU on it, it says the recommended is 450?

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

3. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

That would depend on the brand and the amperage on the 12V rails. Could you post a few more specifics about the 420W PSU.

EDIT: Dustin beat me to it! :p

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

you're not gonna get the exact wattage... it's always a bit less. regardless the unit dustin posted the link to would probably be fine, Corsair makes solid power supplies... plus it has a $10 rebate from newegg.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Newegg (manufacturers) rebates are very much worthless. In all my purchases and filing for many rebates, I have never collected any money!

6. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

Really? I was gonna say I've collected from Newegg but I think I might be mistaking them for manufacturer rebates.

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yeah, it's the manufactures rebates not Newegg. You fill out the form and supply the other info required, and no check ever comes. After some 200 Newegg orders, I have only returned one bare-bones computer and one motherboard for a refund. I just don't go for rebates any longer. Free shipping is another story though

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.