4K Monitors: Can the human eye actually see the difference?

Consumers are a bunch of sleepy sheeps without realising that they are feeding us just tiny bits of pieces of true complete tech.
Just so you know there are already working samples(prototypes) of 10k 14k and even 16k of Oled tvs thinner than 5mm. 10k is suposed to be the next fullhd tech that should last 7-8 years of sales. But the real game changer folks will start with the end of 16k tv that will last less than 4 years. Next? Tiny Cubes that will emit Holographic light at a very small resolution and brightness... and will require a very small amount of energy..less than 10w.

Last edited:
Does a blind person qualify as a human?

And if I see the difference clearly, and your math says I can't - does this make me an alien or something?

I have no problem seeing the difference as well as the price tag ...... which is yet another good reason to hold onto my money for a few more years when it becomes "standard" and at a more standard price!

I can absolutely see the difference. On a standard 96 dpi monitor I can see pixels from 3ish feet away. As someone who reads a lot on screens there is a tremendous difference between text quality on higher pixel pitch screens. I just got a 10 inch tablet with a 1080p screen on it and I can easily see the pixels when reading on it when it's ~18 inches from my face.

All that said, an increase from 4k to 8k on computer displays would just be marketing. I don't know who these people are that can't see the difference because everyone I've talked to can absolutely see the difference.

You should also know that we can measure the resolution of the human eye since we have cones on our retina that detect light. Those cones are the equivalent of pixels on a camera sensor

Last edited:
I have no problem seeing the difference as well as the price tag ...... which is yet another good reason to hold onto my money for a few more years when it becomes "standard" and at a more standard price!
I was going to say "I can spot the difference between 1080p & 4K displays from a mile away, but only the price sticker".
Really, I'm not going to splurge on 4K just for the sake of saying I've got 4K. I'm perfectly happy with 1080p, even on my biggish screen TV.
Monitors, TV's etc. aren't things you tend to replace and upgrade all that often, only when they break down if I'm honest.
Tech manufacturers need to sell something new all the time in order to survive so they WILL over hype new tech. 4K, although nice, I think is overrated and this article hasn't altered my mindset one iota.

I am actually suprised that the author didn't bother to read up on the resolution standards:
3840x2160 is actually UHD (ITU BT.2020 standard)
4096x2160 is 4K standard (DCI standard)

I am actually suprised that the author didn't bother to read up on the resolution standards:
3840x2160 is actually UHD (ITU BT.2020 standard)
4096x2160 is 4K standard (DCI standard)
Yes and no. 3840 is increasingly used as "4k" as it's just a wider screened version of '4k'. (top and bottom chopped of a bit) this screen resolution is more common these days. Moving away from 800x600 radios, the ppi for eg is exactly the same 4096x2160 as 3840x2160

ppi for eg is exactly the same 4096x2160 as 3840x2160[/QUOTE said:
not sure were you learned math, but 4096x2160 vs 3840x2160 is NOT the same ppi.
and just because the marketing dept are calling UHD tvs 4K, doesnt make them one.
4096 pixels are 4K, nothing less or more.
and since its using cinemascope/20:9 ratio (where it comes from) , is one reason almost no tv has it, because cable/sat is broadcasting in 16:9.

My eyes don't really see the difference on a 24-27" monitor, But I also can't really see any difference playing a game above 60FPS either. I notice it on TV and I think it will become more noticeable as more media content is shot in 4k. But until then my Monitors will stay 1080p, heck my dock for my Precision can't even go above 2560 x 1600 on the Display ports so no rush on my part.

I bought one on sale Now the Problem. I have Intel I-7 3.5 with 8 G 2133 ram and a 970. Guess What Not Strong enough. Go to You Tube and Learn for Ultra gaming a Intel 6 core 32 G 2400 or Higher and a Titan X or 2 980 TI. Or keep MY Intel and go 16 2400 Ram and 2 980TI for 4K a Budget that will work.

Since switching to an Apple Macbook Pro Retina, I can't stand using my monitor at work, or my daughters 720p laptop! The pixels look like pieces of lego!

4k monitors should be the norm from all manufacturers....

I have a Samsung 4K 65 inch curved screen TV, an usually watch at regular HD from my Direct TV. However when I go to You Tube, there is basically a 4K channel and have watched some of them, and they are indeed clearer than the regular 1920 X 1080 that I usually view. However the problem right now is that there is really nothing that you want to view for long. It is just to show you how it works and how good it looks. I sit back about 12 feet from the screen, and the regular HD is great, but the UHD is even better. Contrary to what Direct TV states, it is almost impossible to get get UHD from them. I use my Samsung Smart Hub to get the 4K videos. To me personally there is a perceptible difference, but it may be a long time before 4K gets to be popular enough for regular telecasting. For the present, watching it on You Tube is not too bad. I hope they do a few concerts in UHD one of these days.

They should be used for cardiac monitoring because at distance I think they can be seen better

Once you actually use a 4K monitor for a week you can never go back, it's like night and day specially for reading, my 1080p monitor at work looks horrendous with all the pixels that I now see and never noticed before.

Meh, I've used a 2560x1440 27inch screen for a while now and although the 4K screen I had in my possession for about a week did look smoother, most things didn't scale to that resolution, most games I had refused to run smoothly and when I went back to my old screen I didn't really miss 4K at all.

I'll invest in 4K in a few years time when it's more compatible and cheaper :)

4k is sooo yesterday. im waiting for 8k screens, bc 4k is too blurry. or something :p wonders who get 8k first, tv/monitors or phones.

Meh, I've used a 2560x1440 27inch screen for a while now and although the 4K screen I had in my possession for about a week did look smoother, most things didn't scale to that resolution, most games I had refused to run smoothly and when I went back to my old screen I didn't really miss 4K at all.

I'll invest in 4K in a few years time when it's more compatible and cheaper :)

This. I recently bought new monitors and I specifically shopped for 1440p for this reason....DPI scaling support. If you run into something with no or poor support, good luck using or seeing that application on a 4K screen.

Does a blind person qualify as a human?

And if I see the difference clearly, and your math says I can't - does this make me an alien or something?
it makes you well...SuperVitalityT... sort of... ;)

kidding aside, some humans have more acute eyesight (or hearing...)

Few months back I got a 40inch 4K monitor. It is the best thing ever. I will never use lower res monitor again. They look ancient. After this monitor I got 4k TV and 4K camera and next year when they release 4k mobile phones I will be getting one. No more crap 1080 for me!

Back