4X/8X - The Difference

By PCManic
Dec 27, 2005
  1. Hey All,

Well I am just thinking of purchasing the "ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 Edition Radeon 9600 256MB DDR VIVO AGP 4X/8X" video card. Now, as you can read in the title, it says 4X/8X. Does that mean that I can either use a 4X interface or an 8X interface?

Previously, I bought a video card for my system and it wouldn't even fit in properly, and it said that it was an 8X interface card. So I suppose I would need a 4X card, right?

One other question. How would I check and see what kind of interface I have, and consequently, what card I would need?

If you could answer my questions as soon as possible that would be great!

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

4x and 8x have the same physical slot type, but 2x cards are keyed differently. You might have a 2x slot, if so, you're pretty much out of luck, as there aren't many 2x cards available now, and the ones that are are slow.
    8x supports faster speeds than 4x and has a different signaling voltage(0.8v) than 4x(1.5v). Many agp 4x boards support 8x/4x cards.
  3. LesterofPups

LesterofPups TS Rookie Posts: 20

4. PCManic

PCManic TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks everyone. In one of the articles that LesterofPups suggested tells me to take a good look at my motherboard and see what "kind" of AGP or whatever that I have. Again, thanks!

P.S. I'll keep you all posted on my endeavors.
  5. PCManic

Ok, I just typed the serial number of my motherboard and a couple other number configuations into my web browsers search engine and I came up with this:

As you can see, the Graphics connector (AGP) is 4x! Success!

One more thing though. This link:, states that I need "3.0Ghz or equivalent to run software encoding requirements of Windows® Media Center." On my PC, from what I can find, I only have 1.6Ghz. Would the above card still run properly? Thanks. Also, if there is any other information regarding this issue that I should become aware of, please don't be afraid to tell me.
  6. Ruder

Ruder TS Rookie Posts: 98

Encoding depends on the CPU. The card will work - your processor won't cope unless you encode in 64x32 format ...
  7. PCManic

OK, although I really don't understand what "encoding" is. Is it something that I really need to do to make everything in my system work properly? If you could direct me to a link of sorts, that would be great!
  8. Ruder

Ruder TS Rookie Posts: 98

encoding = formatting the raw data into a viewable type of file. Principle almost like zipping files...

Links? Try Google ...
  9. PCManic

10. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.