5.1 (6ch) audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

Greetings everyone!

Probably you wont answer to my problem after you read the product concerning my problem.... I recently bought a c-media 8738 sound card to replace the integrated via97 audio from an old computer just to use with logitech 640 5.1 speakers.

The box reads 4ch/6ch, I instaled everything properly (card, drivers, audio plugs) but NO sound comes out from the rear speakers..... I have win xp audio settings on 5.1 speakers....

Some one told me that chipset requieres special software to enable 6ch.... I'm I missing something?..... Is there somehting else I should know/do?

Please help!

What are you using to test the speakers/soundcard ? nVidia has a little software called NVswap which sends noises to each speaker individually helping you sort out which ones work or not. Does the bundled software of your new sound card have such a program ?

Well Didou!.... to be honest I didn't wanted to mess with the card software, I just Installed the drivers..... but when I run winamp only the 3 front speakers work, the center one now works without the matrix button depressed which means it's getting the right signal but the rear ones you could just barely hear the noise................ not even close to the sound they make when I plug them on the Audigy 2 ZS.

I don't think c-media bundles their card with that kind of software but I will find out.... I'll keep you posted!

You're going to have to install at least the control panel portion of the bundled software. You will get only a stereo (front) image if you let windows work it out on it's own.

In all truth, 5.1 surround is nothing more than a stereo signal with a slight time delay for the rear speakers and a crossover for the sub. Oh yeah.... and a Dolby filter.

The problem you're having might not be a problem with your soundcard, it might simply be that you're not using a 5.1 audio source. I don't think by default MP3 are anything other then Stereo. If you have a DVD player try setting it to 5.1 & watch a movie that you know has 5.1 encoding. That'll be easier to do.

m8 im having the same problems as u have and i tried so many things and i just give up realy i dont know what else to do

I agree with didou,try using a dvd to check the 5.1 surround.mp3 files are encoded in stereo.you require either ac3(I think .....not sure)format or something to play 5.1.there are even ways to convert stereo signals to 5.1.google around to find out more about that.

Hm trust me i tried many encoders/decoders/whatever for winamp but it still doesnt work..
If i run a movie with a bs player i get sound in 5 speakrs only center doesnt work , and subwoofer is keep enabling and disabling " it is very lame realy " and very anoying.. and if i play games i get sound only in 3 speakers as in winamp " front 2 and subwoofer" .
I'm thinking of selling 5.1 speakers cos this is not what i've wanted :(

Reaper said:
Hm trust me i tried many encoders/decoders/whatever for winamp but it still doesnt work..
If i run a movie with a bs player i get sound in 5 speakrs only center doesnt work , and subwoofer is keep enabling and disabling " it is very lame realy " and very anoying.. and if i play games i get sound only in 3 speakers as in winamp " front 2 and subwoofer" .
I'm thinking of selling 5.1 speakers cos this is not what i've wanted :(
Don't sell your speaker set, toss the sound card.... a very good and cheap ooption would be creative labs Soundblaster Live OEM.

h_pavon is right,the problem is not with your speakers,a good speaker from creative like any one of audigy line up with eax should kep you satisfied and also output in 5.1 during games like call of duty and a lot of others like doom3. dont expect to hear your mp3's in 5.1 because they arent encoded in 5.1 only stereo and thats what you are getting.

Winamp can do this sometimes...But what you need to do is open your winamp and go to Options > preferences > go to output (on the left) > double click on Directsound output and on the slide down bar set it to c-media, then check hardware acceleration at the bottom and apply the changes..restart your winamp and give it another try. hope this helps :)

Runforfun201 you rock!

It was exactly as you said.Lame Winamp problem.at first it didnt work,
but after a few times it was alive :).
I registered in only to post this reply.thnx you save me the time becouse
i was going to reformat and install win f... xp.
ti si car stari. Slovenija :hotbounce

Runforfun201 said:
Winamp can do this sometimes...But what you need to do is open your winamp and go to Options > preferences > go to output (on the left) > double click on Directsound output and on the slide down bar set it to c-media, then check hardware acceleration at the bottom and apply the changes..restart your winamp and give it another try. hope this helps :)

Thanks. I was having the same problem and found that Win MediaPlayer worked while WinAmp did not. Using your instructions, I merely had to set WinAmp to use Hardware Accleration and now I have sound where expected. Thanks.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

After reading all help topics on this specific c-media problem, I finally figured it out. You don't need to configure much but make sure everything is set to 5.1 within the operating system.

I was playing around with the subwoofer jack (orange) on the back of my sub. I noticed that the sub turns on when it is partially or half-way inserted. The sub jack still holds in place but the sub started working regardless!!.

Best way to know is have an mp3 playing on windows media or winamp and play around with the sub jack behind the subwoofer or whatever it hooks into.

Hope this helps, did for me :)

okay, I did more playing around with the settings.

If you installed the "Xear 3D - PCI 3D Audio Configuration",

> Click the icon in the taskbar
> Click the "hammer" icon under Analog Output
> Check "Swap Center/Bass Output"

Make sure all the jacks/plugs are connected all the way.

Pop in some tunes and let the sub shake your house..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back