5.25 Ghz at -195 degrees

By agronick
Jan 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonFury

DragonFury Newcomer, in training Posts: 88

not bad , but lets see someone do a world record in a practicle enviorment ( where it be used everyday )
  2. iNoob

iNoob Newcomer, in training Posts: 91

That video is actually quite old. I wonder why they don't overclock it even more since it was running at -195C then whole time.
  3. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,058

If they could do a bit of modding they could get about 2.5-3 v OC it to about 6.x ghz
  4. iNoob

iNoob Newcomer, in training Posts: 91

LoL, if they are hardcore enough to use liquid nitrogen, then shouldn't they be hardcore enough to do a bit of modding? I say: good job, but could be better :D
  5. Blakhart

Blakhart Newcomer, in training Posts: 510

Hi

I think the target design speed for the prescott core was like 7GHz. It's barely running at 4GHz.
  6. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,058

This was 3 years ago though they had at most a 2.8ghz no a 2.4ghz cpu so I say good job :hotbounce
  7. Cartz

Cartz Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

And they put a Geforce 5950 in it :S

I wonder what an fx-60 at those temps would clock....
  8. Blakhart

Blakhart Newcomer, in training Posts: 510

The amd's might get to the point of diminishing returns sooner as they don't have a very deep pipeline, relative to the P4. Need the pipes for high clocks.
  9. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

Here are the real records

7473.75 GHZ! --has the record in superPI too, but I lost the link. One of my P4s runs 4ghz all the time, like nothing.

FX-60s may never go over 3.5ghz because AMD has a cold bug.
  10. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Speaking of which, Me and my friend oc'ed an old p4 1.6 ghz to 4.5 ghz with air cooling (except it was a sort of modded up air cooling where we had a bunch of ice inside a container and we had a crazy fan i made myself, which was something like 18,500 rpm moving aroung 200-300 cfm blowing the ice-cooled air down a tube to the proc and it ran at something like 76 degrees c, and yes, he did have to hold the tube in place while i ran wcpuid) luckily, however, the proc had been long replaced because it (not unexpectedly) simply "popped." It made a popping sound and we saw that the proc had, err, kinda done nothing. It just made the noise and died. No matter what we tried, it seemed that the old northwood was dead. It was fun though! And yes this is true.
  11. JMag034

JMag034 Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

Yeah the current P4 record is 7.5ghz on LN2...the AMDs have the memory controller which "bugs out" at low temperatures. Some processors are lucky and dont have the cold bug problem. These cpus do great under cascades and LN2
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.