5 Beeps On Startup

DaFroginator101

Hi. My PC has 5 short beeps when I turn it on. Before it was 3 short beeps but I reseated the RAM and that fixed the 3 short beeps. But now there are 5 short beeps. I've reseated the CPU and the beeps continued. (Yes the arrow thing is same as on motherboard so it fitted properly) I re-applied thermal paste and that seemed to fix it yesterday but today its beeping again. This is a brand new build less than 2 weeks old and the beeps only started a few days ago. Any help is appreicated. Thanks. :)

PC Specs:
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 1GB DDR5
CPU: AMD A6-6400K Richland Dual-Core 3.9GHz Black Edition (Not overclocked)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 (1 stick)
Motherboard: ASROCK FM2A55M-VG3
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 600W
HDD: Toshiba 500 GB SATA

When I installed the motherboard, the BIOS version was v1.60 which is the latest version according to the website. But I used the UEFI update in BIOS and it updated it to v1.90?...

The ASRock website warns in red print against updating the bios if everything is working OK. V1.6 is compatible with Windows 8.1 so it's not clear why you decided to update. I'd look into whether you can change the bios back.

Re check video card and so forth make sure every thing is secure. Plus check your heatsink fan. If this continues after you have secured every thing. You may have a bad motherboard. You may also try clearing the cmos. This may or may not help you.

If this is the cause of the bios update. You may need to check Asrock support site. They may have a work around for this. If not you may have brick the board.

BIOS v1.90 magically appeared on their website after I posted this lol...anyways I downgraded back to v1.60.I'll report back if that fixes it.

Downgrading the BIOS back to default seems to have fixed the beeps. Thanks guys. Now I know to never update it if everything is working fine...if something ain't broke don't fix it. :l

[Solved]

Last edited by a moderator:
Beeps came back after downgrading BIOS. I think it was trying to use the APU instead of my GPU card. I disabled the onboard video, seems to be working this time...hopefully.

Back