512 MB RAM to 1024MB, no better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

i ahve recently had a new ram card installed t my computer system by a pc tech guy, i used to have x2 256mb cards now i have x2 512mb cards.

But after i have had the upgrade installed i have been having problems, the computer is running slower, on games such as counter strike and aoe3!

I dont know why this is happening

any help/advice???

MrP

Results

some results if these arent needed then say which you need thanks:

Clocks:
Core speed : 2793.0 MHz
Multiplier : x 14.0
FSB : 199.5 MHz
Bus Speed : 798.0 MHz

DDR 400 pc 3200 is the ram speed.

The cpu is 2.79GHz ( 14 x199.5 MHz =2.793GHz)

and the "memmory bus" is 800mhz (about) So using DDR divided 800mhz by two making DDR400

PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM WRONG

What version of Windows are you running? If you're on Windows 98, it has a problem using that much RAM, and can slow it down.

If you take out 1 512mb, does it speed up again, per chance.

good luck

Mr Papschmere said:
I'm guessing it's a Celeron...

It's running at correct speed, you sure he didn't do anything else?

It can´t be a Celeron, celerons have a 133MHZ FSB (533MHZ) not a 200MHZ (800MHZ) FSB.

wolfram said:
It can´t be a Celeron, celerons have a 133MHZ FSB (533MHZ) not a 200MHZ (800MHZ) FSB.

eggzackly then it would have to be running ddr 333 pc 2700, wich it is clearly not. It's a P4 2.8GHz.

Edit: with 1MB L2 Cashe

Sorry

Sorry didnt know you had been replying!

Its An Intel PENTIUM 4 2.8 Ghz proccesor.

WINDOWS XP im currently running.

and the guy who did the math with the proccessing's is right cpu = 2.793 Ghz

Is there anything i can do to actually see if its running slower?

Or anything i can try to enhance the performance or aid the performance???

Also my Computer is a DELL 3000, hard to find the specs of it even on the Dell webpage. Ofcourse i can look at the System Information if any is needed, also the max RAM this computer can hold is 2048 MB.

I also have a Geforce FX 5200 256MB graphics card if it makes any difference i dont know :D.

Thanks,
For all the help so far :D

Lets re frame back to the different possibilities, are you sure there is a difference? Have updated any of the drivers, such as graphic divers or chipset drivers?

Well...

Well i wouldnt say it hugely noticable but it just was the only thought that came to my head, straight after the ram was fitted i load up my games and on some detailed levels / maps it starts to stutter, before it never did this with all graphics on high (CS:S).

It was the only thing that could come to mind, that it maybe the RAM and it wasnt the connection i have a ping of 5 - 10, also i cannot update my driver as it wont let me play certain games.

I think the most likely culprit would be the brands and speed of each RAM card. If they're different and at different speeds, then thats what the problem is.

Make sure both rams are the same example existing ram is 3200 the other ram has to be 32000 or it can be higher but not lower example 3200 to 2700 ram this will not work .. AND make sure your memory timmings are sit correct let us know..

It's quite possible your technician installed the 2x512mb's into the wrong slots, thus no longer working in dual-channel mode.

If you look at the memory tab in CPU-Z, look at the top/right corner and see if Dual-Channel and Performance mode are both reporting "Yes"... what do they report?

ahh we might be on to something

i know nothing about this area of computing but i think this may be the problem.

In top right corner of the memory tab it says Channels# : Dual

and

Performance Mode : Disabled

thats what im getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back