56K Tweaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnosteele52

56K Tweaks for all Windows OS's:

For 98 & ME:

1. First and most important make sure you have the latest drivers for your modem, from the manufacturer.

2. Open modem properties in Control Panel and under advanced port settings slide both all the way to the right.

3. Set maximum port speed to 115,2000.

4. Open Internet Options in IE and under temp internet files - settings select - Every visit to page.

5. Under extra settings (where init strings go) put in s11=55 to make your modem dial faster or s10=60 if you have frequent disconnects.

6. Make sure you have a good "clean" phone line, the #1 reason 56K modems don't connect at a good transfer rate is static on your phone line, and remember your throughput is more important than what your connection says it is connected at. If you are connected between 44,000 - 50,000 that is as good as it gets (you are limited to 53,333 by the FCC)

7. Download Cablenut and put in the following settings:

BcastNameQueryCount - 1
BcastQueryTimeout - 100
BSDUrgent - 1
CacheTimeout - 600000
DefaultRecvWindow - 5840
DefaultTTL - 128
EnableDNS - 0
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize - 5840
KeepAliveInterval - 500
KeepAliveTime - 14400000
Lanabase - 0
LocalCopyMade - 1
MaxConnections - 99
NameTableSize - 255
NameSrvQueryTimeout - 100
PMTUBlackHoleDetect - 0
PMTUDiscovery - 1
SackOpts - 1
SessionKeepAlive - 7200
SessionTableSize - 255
Size/Small/Medium/Large - 3
Tcp1323Opts - 0
TcpTimedWaitDelay - 30
MaxDupAcks - 2
DefaultTOS - 92
IGMPLevel - 2
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server - 8
MaxConnectionsPerServer - 4

Then select "save to registry" and reboot to take effect.

8. Open your registry (start - run - type regedit) and change the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\000X (where X is a number between 1 and 9)there is a value named SLOWNET, change it from 01 to 00.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\COMBUFF it has a value called Start, change its value from 00 to 01.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VCACHE, it has a value named Start, change it from 00 to 01.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl (if PriorityControl is not there, make the value) - on the right hand side right click and select new DWORD value, name it IrqXPriority (X = Irq assigned to your modem), then right click it and select modify and give it a decimal value of 1.

9. Open your sys.ini file (start - run -sysedit - ME type system.ini) close the boxes until you are at the one with the title C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI, under [386enh] add the line ComXXIrqXXbuffer=4096, XX=Com port your modem is on and Irq assigned to your modem, it should look like Com03Irq07buffer=4096. Then select file - save and reboot to take effect.

For 2K & XP:

1. First and most important make sure you have the latest drivers for your modem, not Microsoft's, but the one's from the manufacturer.

2. Open modem properties in Control Panel and under advanced port settings slide both all the way to the right.

3. Set maximum port speed to 115,2000.

4. Under extra settings (where init strings go) put in s11=55.

5. Make sure you have a good "clean" phone line, the #1 reason 56K modems don't connect at a good transfer rate is static on your phone line, and remember your throughput is more important than what your connection says it is connected at. If you are connected between 44,000 - 50,000 that is as good as it gets (you are limited to 53,333 by the FCC)

6. Download Cablenut and put in the following settings:

DefaultReceiveWindow = 5840
DefaultSendWindow = 2920
DisableAddressSharing = 1
InitialLargeBufferCount = 5
InitialMediumBufferCount = 15
LargeBufferSize = 2048
MaxFastTransmit = 5840
MediumBufferSize = 752
PriorityBoost = 0
SmallBufferSize = 32
TransmitWorker = 32
FastSendDatagramThreshold = 1024
EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
IgnorePushBitOnReceives = 0
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 5840
MaxFreeTcbs = 2000
MaxHashTableSize = 4096
MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000
SackOpts = 1
Tcp1323Opts = 0
MaxDupAcks = 2
TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460
TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460
TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0
TcpWindowSize = 5840
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 8
MaxConnectionsPerServer = 4
DefaultTTL = 128
DisableUserTOSSetting = 0
DefaultTOSValue = 92

Then select "save to registry" and reboot to take effect.

7. Open your sys.ini file (start - run -sysedit) close the boxes until you are at the one with the title C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI, under [386enh] add the line ComXXIrqXXbuffer=4096, XX=Com port your modem is on and Irq assigned to your modem, it should look like Com03Irq07buffer=4096. Then select file - save and reboot to take effect.

8. Open Internet Options (IE)and under temp internet files - settings select - Every visit to page.

9. Open your Network Connections from the Control Panel – right click on your Cable connection and select properties, if you have the “QoS Packet Scheduler” installed highlight it and select uninstall.

10. Open up regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace, find the key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. Right click on it and delete it.

Also add the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl (if PriorityControl is not there, make the value) - on the right hand side right click and select new DWORD value, name it IrqXPriority (X = Irq assigned to your modem), then right click it and select modify and give it a decimal value of 1.

For ALL OS's:

The most important thing to remember about dial up is that the maximum you can download ANYTHING under absolute perfect conditions is 6.7kb/s, so don't be frustrated with your speed, remember it is only 56K (actually 53333). To understand a little better, most dial up connections have a connect speed of somewhere in the mid 40K range, which is very good, so say you connect at 48000, to find your maximum throughput divide that by 8 which gives you 6kb/s, which actually very good for dial up. The tweaks I have provided will help you maximize that throughput as best possible, don't expect super speeds by tweaking your dial up, be happy if you are getting 6kb/s.

FOR FASTER WEB PAGE LOADING:

This tweak will help web pages load faster, it has no real effect on download speeds, just helps your pc look up websites faster thereby speeding up how fast the page loads and making websurfing more enjoyable.

Navigate to this registry entry and change the following settings:

For XP & 2K

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider

For 98, 98SE & ME

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\ServiceProvider

On the right for ALL OS's change these entries: (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL)

DnsPriority - 1
HostsPriority - 1
LocalPriority - 1
NetbtPriority - 1

Write down the current values PRIOR to changing them in case it doesn't work so you can revert back. To change the value right mouse click on the value and select modify and enter the values above once you have done all of them reboot to take effect and see how fast your pages load.

P.S. If you have a dial up connection I HIGHLY recommend using a download manager, it will help maximize your download speed, resume downloads if you are disconnected and you can even schedule downloads for the middle of the night (it will automatically dial up and download the desired file and hang up when done) when you aren't using your pc.

:D :)

There is nowhere to enter quite a few of those settings into the program, other fields are being left blank. Is this normal?

I tried using the presets that came in the program but I couldn't connect afterward and had to remove them. My modem and ISP just kept squalking at one another, trying to negotiate the connection but after a couple of minutes of that the ISP hung up.

They are all there depending on what OS you are using just make sure you are using the proper one's for the appropriate OS. I have used these settings on countless pc's and never had a problem.:) ;)

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm talking about. I'm using XP so I have to use the 2000 settings screen. Note that some of the entries in your post aren't on the screen.

Attachments

• scrn1.jpg
    scrn1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
I as well have had a problem with finding some of these. Specifically #2 and #5.

Also you should have mentioned to make a backup in your registry before changing anything in it.

It's not my modem that's 28k! It's my ISP. Mom's fault.

Look again they are all there, the 2K & XP settings are the same. Go down the list just as I have them and there will be a box for all of them, there will be some empty boxes but just ignore them.:) :grinthumb

Originally posted by Vehementi
It's not my modem that's 28k! It's my ISP. Mom's fault.

Who's your ISP? All ISPs I know of support 56K. Look under the properties for your modem for #2 & 5.:)

After some in-depth exploring I've found what I need.

My ISP is the school district my mom works for. Just like 5 modems in one of the techie's offices. All Macintoshes of course. The ***** even uses a Mac for the district-wide mail server. :dead:

Can I enter both s11=55 and s10=60?

Ok, I finally got it all in there and got the other stuff put in and I just tested it by downloading a file I had downloaded earlier to test the before and after. Both times I downloaded it at 1.6KBps which seems to be my new max speed. Before my speed dropped a month ago, I was able to get between 7-9KBps on average and sometimes faster.

What the reason behind static appearing on the phone line?
It's it because of rain coming in contact with the phone line joints?
I've been experiencing static in the phone line since early this year..now it gettin' worse and worse..sometimes the connection goes down for a least a week or 2.

Originally posted by young&wild
What the reason behind static appearing on the phone line?
It's it because of rain coming in contact with the phone line joints?
I've been experiencing static in the phone line since early this year..now it gettin' worse and worse..sometimes the connection goes down for a least a week or 2.

Several things can cause static in the line. A bad connection somewhere in your house phone wiring, it could be in the service box outside. It could be further down the line. If you hear the static, take a phone and go to the service box outside, unplug the connector and plug in the phone, see if it still has static, if so call the phone company, if not, check all of the connections in the service box and all the phone jacks in your home.

Well, I stll connect at 24Kbps, but I can download at about 2.55 instead of 2.15 for the smae files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back