+5V wire of 9800SE AIW Burns in 2 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nthionius

I have an ATI AIW 9800 (with a TV tuner). It needs power from my PSU (cheap 350W PSU: +5V/35A, +12V/17A, +3.3V/14A)
Sometimes when I switch my computer on it starts beeping and telling me to
re connect the power to the Radeon. When I look at the plug, the end where
the red wire (+5V) is has gone totally black and is burnt out. I've already
ruined the only two floppy style power connectors on my psu and now I've
started using molex convertors but I'm getting through those pretty
quickly!
Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? The +5V pin on my 9800 is also oxdized, what should I do with it? sandpapers?

My computer is
CPU: P4 2.4GHz (Northwood)
Mobo: ASUS P4S533-MX

Is it possible the 4X AGP slot is the cause of the problem? Since the signaling voltage of AGP 4X is 1.5V while that of AGP 8X is 0.8V. However, I've checked that 9800 should work in 1.5V, 4X.
There's another strange observation: I connect the power connector from computer 1 (a PSU connected to a P2 Mobo only) to my card in computer 2, to see if it's the problem with overloaded PSU. I turned on computer 1, then computer 2, it boot normally. Today I accdentally switched the PSU of computer 1 off, guess what? its fan kept blowing! It happens that the power comes from my AGP slot in computer 2 to that PSU.
If it's the case, I think the problem is due to "backflow" of electricity from the AGP slot to PSU...just guessing

Anyone have any ideas?

Have you checked the voltages on your PSU? while it is certainly possible that your mobo is defective. the first thing that would come to mind to me would be defective PSU.

JUST USE A BIGGER WIRE!!

heh.

No don't do that, something is dorked up, and now instead of the connectors burning up something else more expensive would fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back