6-channel Audio Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satlover

Can someone explain to me please? i just change my mother board to foxconn
661 MXPRO. based on SIS661 chipset,support FSB 800(over clock)/533/400MHZ. socket 478 processor: support DDR 400/333/266 MHZ Memory.support AGP 8x.
The manual says:
The mother board is equipped with the CODE ALC655 chip, which provides support for 6 -channel audio output, including 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center and 1 subwoofer channel. ALC655 allows the board to attach 4 or 6 speakers for a better surround sound effect. To apply this function, you have to install the audio driver in utillity CD as well as an audio application supporting 6-channel. Connect the front speakers to green audio output; connect the surround speaker to the audio output and connect the center speaker/subwoofer to the red microphone output.
Is that mean i can connect any speakers meaning stereo speakers not pc speakers to the pc without the help of an amplifier.
thank you

Depends.....

If you're talking about amplified speakers, then yes.
If you're talking about darned old common speakers, certainly not.
The computers outputs are at "line potential". This is the same signal level as say, a cassette deck, would output to your home receiver.
If your home sound system has multichannel sound line inputs, you would jump from the computer to the receiver which would power the (UN-Amplified) speakers.

captaincranky said:
If you're talking about amplified speakers, then yes.
If you're talking about darned old common speakers, certainly not.
The computers outputs are at "line potential". This is the same signal level as say, a cassette deck, would output to your home receiver.
If your home sound system has multichannel sound line inputs, you would jump from the computer to the receiver which would power the (UN-Amplified) speakers.
What i understand from the manual there is an amplifier built in it.
here:http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-GB/product/motherboard_detail.aspx?ID=en-tt0000099
Discription:
- Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, Socket 478
- FSB 800 MHz (overclock) / 533 MHz / 400 MHz
- Single Channel 400MHz / 333MHz / 266MHz DDR SDRAM x2 DIMMs, Max 2GB
- AGP 8X
- 5.1 channel Audio, AC’97 interface (Realtek)
- 10 / 100 Mbps LAN (IC Plus)
- 8 USB 2.0 ports
Thanks for your help.

OK then....

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I've never actually seen computer speakers that weren't amplified.
Moving further out, I'm going to suggest that since this is a computer motherboard, that the manufacturer assumes you will be connecting computer speakers to it.
I did download the manual and it seemed much less unambiguous than your interpretation.
I didn't see an audio output stage on the board layout, I suppose I could have missed it.
If this thing actually had audio amplifiers capable of driving home stereo type speakers, you'd think they would be blowing their corporate horn about 50 Watts @ x ohms into each channel @ .1% THD ad naseum. Why would they pass up a golden advertising opportunity on that scale?

Page 2, Item 8; (Board manual)
Line-in jack, Line-out jack, Microphone jack
Use the three audio ports to connect audio devices. The Line-in jack is for a tape
player or other audio sources. The Line-out jack is for a headphone or a speaker.
The Microphone jack is for a microphone. In 6-Channel mode, the function of the
three jacks becomes Rear Speaker Out, Front Speaker Out and Center/Subwoofer
Speaker respectively.

Note: starts with line out, not speaker out
I can see when they change the nomenclature from line out to speaker out it is confusing. The jack functions change name and they fail to mention it's still at line level.

captaincranky said:
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I've never actually seen computer speakers that weren't amplified.
Moving further out, I'm going to suggest that since this is a computer motherboard, that the manufacturer assumes you will be connecting computer speakers to it.
I did download the manual and it seemed much less unambiguous than your interpretation.
I didn't see an audio output stage on the board layout, I suppose I could have missed it.
If this thing actually had audio amplifiers capable of driving home stereo type speakers, you'd think they would be blowing their corporate horn about 50 Watts @ x ohms into each channel @ .1% THD ad naseum. Why would they pass up a golden advertising opportunity on that scale?

Page 2, Item 8; (Board manual)
Line-in jack, Line-out jack, Microphone jack
Use the three audio ports to connect audio devices. The Line-in jack is for a tape
player or other audio sources. The Line-out jack is for a headphone or a speaker.
The Microphone jack is for a microphone. In 6-Channel mode, the function of the
three jacks becomes Rear Speaker Out, Front Speaker Out and Center/Subwoofer
Speaker respectively.

Note: starts with line out, not speaker out
I can see when they change the nomenclature from line out to speaker out it is confusing. The jack functions change name and they fail to mention it's still at line level.
Thanks for your help and your clarification because in the manual it's confusing. specially when you have a picture of 5 speakers and subwoofer coming out of the pc board out puts and line up like a home system theatre.
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back