61" projection and my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roamex

Hey guys need some more help here. I just got a rear projection 61" tv and I hooked it up with my computer but it looks kinda bad. There are lines that move up the screen just as the refresh rate on a monitor would do if you looked at it though a video camera. I have got the new drivers for my card and tried changing the refresh ratefrom 60hz to 70hz but that didn't help. I am using a x1600xt and the Red White Yellow cords(well just yello) to connect to tv. How do I get that too go away? do I need to change to svideo?

Your card probably doesn't support the resolution of the t.v. S video would be lower quality but would proably look better

Roamex said:
I am using a x1600xt and the Red White Yellow cords(well just yello) to connect to tv. How do I get that too go away? do I need to change to svideo?
What kind of TV is it exactly? From there, we can help determine the best way to get a good picture from it.

What you are experiencing is very common for poor cabling/shielding and using basic composite inputs on a TV (strained to poor NTSC signal quality over low-shielded rca-style cables).

If your TV is HD capable, you'd like gain much by going component. ATI and 3rd part vendors make component connections for HD-capable projection TV's. This will also allow 480/720/1080 resolution modes to tv-out.

The lines you are seeing are likely due to the card shielding, connector quality and cable quality. How far a stretch are you covering with the yellow composite cable? While svideo may also help (stronger signal), the distance you are running and cable quality may count.

If you could provide what TV you have and how far a distance you are trying to run, we can likely steer you towards the optimal and cheapest solutions.

What you are gonna have to do is see if the tv has DVI-D (DVI) Inputs, nothing else will work!! If it is a HD-TV the screen resolution is 1080i (1920 × 1080) your graphic card is more then capable to be hit this resolution, but your tv has to have the appropriate inputs.

What it sounds like what you are referring to is RCA cables, red (right audio), white (left audio) and for all of us that aren't blind, yellow (video). HEEHEH I made a joke. This is insufficient and will not be "good enough" to broadcast video to your tv.

ya the tv is a toshiba need to get model number later but its not HD. :-(

It deos not have the imputs you are refering to only RCA, RBG, and s-vid.

it looks like the rez for the tv is 480 and on my grahpics card i have svid, dvi, vga

I just wanna get rid of this dumb lines that slowly move up the screen. when i plug a ps2 with RCA or a dvd player in it works great.

Roamex....you sure it doesn't have DVI-D inputs? I just bought a Toshiba HD that is 57"....it has the DVI inputs as does the 51" I looked at.

You need to use shielded video cables... These are more expensive but shielding should get rid of those lines. S-Video cables should be shielded too

Tmagic650 said:
You need to use shielded video cables... These are more expensive but shielding should get rid of those lines. S-Video cables should be shielded too

It wont make a difference, computer to tv signal is a bit different then hooking up a dvd player that will make the slightest difference and we aren't even at it projecting properly.

CrossFire851 said:
It wont make a difference, computer to tv signal is a bit different then hooking up a dvd player that will make the slightest difference and we aren't even at it projecting properly.

I have my computer hooked up to a standard TV through a powered video splitter and the picture is clear and bright, using the RCA 3-wire red, white and yellow. I am also connected to a Sony 18" LCD display using DVI-D. My video card supports both types of output. Cable length can be a factor in signal loss or distortion...

Tmagic650 said:
I have my computer hooked up to a standard TV through a powered video splitter and the picture is clear and bright, using the RCA 3-wire red, white and yellow. I am also connected to a Sony 18" LCD display using DVI-D. My video card supports both types of output. Cable length can be a factor in signal loss or distortion...

Well what I thought I typed was that we should worry about it displaying properly before we get to complicated. Shielded cables reduces signal interference which can cause slight distortion. S- video and RCA are the same thing with different cable interfaces.

twite said:
Your card probably doesn't support the resolution of the t.v. S video would be lower quality but would proably look better
I think you are mistaken, how would it be lower quality? The simple Yellow RCA for video is lesser quality than S-Video. For Analog:
Coax < Composite (yellow rca) < S-Video < Component (red green blue rca)

When I have my media center PC hooked up to TV there is a noticable quality drop if I use composite rather than s-vid.

S-video is only video. You need separate right and left audio cables when using S-video. S-video produces much better video quality than the single wire yellow composite video does

Tmagic650 said:
S-video is only video. You need separate right and left audio cables when using S-video. S-video produces much better video quality than the single wire yellow composite video does
Yes, and you still need to run the red (right) and white (left) cables for audio when you are using composite.

Point is, if you have the option to run S-Video or Composite (yellow RCA) you should choose S-Video.

If you have ever took off apart a dvd player you can see that the solder connections are "jumpered" off the same terminal on the pcb. The s-video and rca yellow (video) are the same thing.

You get the same signal no matter what cable you i.e. rca vid and s-vid.

That can't be true for everything. And even if it is, then the RCA is combining the chrominance and luminance into 1 signal. In S-Video chrominance and luminance are sent down individual wires, allowing for better quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back