TechSpot

64-bit Chrome browser arrives for Windows, said to be faster with better security and stability

By Shawn Knight
Jun 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A dev-oriented 64-bit version of Google's Chrome web browser is now available for use in Windows 7 and Windows 8. In a blog post on the matter, Google software engineer Will Harris said a 64-bit browser allows Google to take advantage of...

Read more
  2. Faster at what? If it is not already using 100% CPU, then I won't notice it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,801   +541

That's like sitting in a Ferrari and saying that you need to hit a wall to feel it, otherwise you can't see the advantage.
    SantistaUSA and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 106   +18

Guest, your logic is beyond me.

GZ!
    bea108 likes this.
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,237   +79

So... you still reply to guests... huh...

I was going to say something like "Until it has a master password like firefox I won't even try it since security is not entirely up to the user" but now I remember I don't use it anymore... will give it a try :p

PS: I miss the "Watch this topic" option that was always enabled without receiving email notifications.
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,434   +218

Kibaruk, are you posting from the front page or in forum mode? In forum mode, "Watch Topic" works for me.
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,237   +79

When you reply from front page.

EDIT: So, I gave it a try and it sucked at least 1 more gig of ram than firefox usualy does with the same 5 tabs open all the time. Nope nope nope back to FF.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  8. I reply to messages which came from anonymous individuals with funny names like havok585, who claim to be over 100 years old.
  9. To Anonymous individual with a funny name: -

Don't worry, one day it will be within you scope of understanding. That is what I am here for. To help you think logically. To do this, I need to get you to think. You have already made the first step.

On the subject of 64-bit code CPU instead of 32-bit CPU code: -

64-bit CPU code might use less CPU cycles. It does not necessarily use less transistor switches though, so it could use about the same amount of power. Apart from that, memory bandwidth, and Graphics Card, plus Internet Bandwidth are a bottleneck,.
  10. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 154   +12

But even if it does use the same amount of power, it still means the benefits can be felt if it can accomplish identical tasks with fewer cpu cycles especially nowadays when people are multitasking more.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

I was under the impression that my Chrome browser was already 64 bit...

12. Gaara

Gaara TS Rookie Posts: 65

Wow I just download the Google Chrome 64-bit Canary 37.0.2029.0
    and WOW incredible faster!!! ...you realize the different
  13. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 98   +20

I downloaded it and well not much difference to me. I do however like the gold icon. I think system specs might come into play a bit here...
  14. Gaara

I don't know how your pc perform is , but my pc is rally powerful and move everything fast
  15. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

Just downloaded Canary. It is noticeably snappier than 32-bit. Colors are a little off - or maybe my 32-bit colors were a little off. At any rate, I like it.
  16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,307   +265

Yeah - giving it a shot here myself. Having to re-enter all my passwords, install my extensions and whatnot.
  17. Just get Pale Moon instead. Besides being available in a 64-bit version, it also does away with the epic disaster that is the Analis interface of FF29.
  18. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,947   +900

It is great that Chrome is catching up, but I would really like to see decreased CPU and memory usage.
  19. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 98   +20

That's entirely my point... I have a very modern and powerful PC and 100Mbps cable connection. I notice no difference in the speed of the browsers performance. However, Prehaps people with older pc's will see larger performance gains.
    Gaara likes this.
  20. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294   +32

I'm not going to try the beta, but will definitely upgrade to this when it releases. Can't wait.
  21. Gaara

there was no need to re-enter all your pass or app all you is go to setting and Signed in your Google account Manage your synced data on. DONE!! you will get all your info back from the 32 version
  22. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 876   +22

Aunt jemima, what took you so long? 64 bit has been out how long? It was mainstay in 2008. If it ran on linux 64 bit, 32 bit programs don't even RUN unless you fiddle with some loopholes.
  23. 100 percent CPU usage?? Yeah, right... I run an AMD 8150 8-core CPU overclocked 15%.... and overclocked 2 gig 256 bit video card, I can't even get close to 40% usage. Living in the country, I'm limited to DSL or satellite internet service, with a max of 3 gb speed... Everything bottlenecks right there for me. Faster browser... lol... I don't notice a difference between any of them.... they are all as slow as my fastest option for internet service. Poor computer, it's bored most of the time! :'(
  24. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,307   +265

Negative - that was the first thing I did. I'm betting it's because my original Chrome install was an AllUsers install.
  25. Gaara

I don't know what to tell you but it work for me !!
    hahahanoobs likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.