64 bit mobo vs dual processor mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am building my second system and am just wondering what mobo to get.

I don't full understand the advantages that a 64bit system will bring but I know that a dual processor will do wonders for my work flow (I have a 3D modeller who renders alot). I was just wondering if you know of a dual processor mobo which is also 64bit. That would be the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Any advice you can give would be great.

I have a friend who has a totaly 64 bit machine (including 64 OS) and he say's it does wonders for him. Im torn, I want the improvement in quality that a 64 bit system will bring and I also wat the speed and improved multi-tasking (which will help me render and work at the same time) that a dual processor motherboard will bring.

Is there (or will there be in the forseable future) a dual processor mobo that is also 64 bit? Or have I just shown how little I know about computers?

:haha:

Tim_LIVID said:
Is there (or will there be in the forseable future) a dual processor mobo that is also 64 bit?
Most Opteron boards are, although there are some uniprocessor Opteron boards. New Intel Xeon boards are dual and support 64-bit Xeons, too.

Or have I just shown how little I know about computers?
More like you didn't read my previous post.

Wouldn't it be as good to just get an amd athlon x2 64bit dual core? It would only be one cpu socket(you could use a regular amd 939 pin board), but it contains two cpus in one package. It's also 64bit, so you could have both 2 cpus and 64bit capabilty with the amd x2.

I was reading that dual-core processors don't give as much performance as actual dual processors. I did investigate it but it didn't seam right for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Really? I thought I read the opposite, that they were basically the same performance. Dual core is two cpus, as is dual socket. Intel's ht tech isn't two cpus, it just pretends to be.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/amd-cmp-vs-smp.html
As in case with dual core Intel processors, the dual core desktop AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor is generally more preferable in terms of performance than the dual processor system based on an equally-clocked single-core Opteron. It has to do with the general conservative nature of server and desktop platforms, which prefer more reliable but slower memory, as well as with memory access specifics in Opteron systems, where single-threaded and multi-threaded tasks prefer different module installations (there is no ideal configuration for any usage — as always).

So Nocona and the Xeon are one in the same. That makes it a bit confusing. Well im glad that the 64 Xeons will work ini. That's what I was holding out for.

I will read that link from vnf4ultra as well. It's always good to know all the possible facts before making a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back