64 bit Windows 7 & 32bit XP MCE BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a self built system with two HDDs, one with Windows 7 64bit and one with Windows XP MCE 32bit. For the last couple months I have been using 7 exclusively since I have had no problems with it.

The problem is that one day I get a BSOD on 7. After messing around in safe mode I decided to log into XP. I then got another BSOD, so I ran MEMTEST as well as my old HDD scanner. Both tests came back negative. I used the XP disk to repair the OS so I can now use XP. When I used the 7 disk the only tool I found was that boot repair utility, which told me it could not repair 7.

In short I need to find a way to repair 7. I'm still very new to it as I skipped Vista (reminded me of ME).

BFG nForce 680I SLI MOBO
Core 2 Duo 6400 OC 3 GHZ
4GB DDR2-1066
2 x 8800GT 512MB cards in SLI
2 x 160GB HDDS
2 x DVD-RW
802.11G PCI

NOTE: I have always been an enthusiast. However, getting married, having 2 kids, and going into bankruptcy has left me WAY behind the tech curve. Please be patient with me

A repair install of Windows 7 would be a good first step.
Do you have Windows 7 as a download, or do you have it on Disk... on one of the trial installs?

Windows Repair was merged into Windows Upgrade in Vista. I don't use Windows 7 yet as only the upgrade is commercially available right now. Upgrade packages do not allow the "repair" feature. You only get that in the full installation version.

So, you can't do a Win7 repair as you must be using the upgrade version or a release candidate.

-- Andy

I'm using the RC. If Microsoft "disabled" repair in the RC then that pisses me off. I can understand why it's not in the upgrade, but the RC really could use it.

Back to my problem, it appears I made a simple mistake when I was checking for problems. After uninstalling some additional hardware I came across what I believe to be the culprit. The 3D software from nVidia stayed on my machine even after I got rid of everything else.

Running the 8800GT with a monitor refresh rate of 75hertz does not allow me the privilege to use such software. I must have installed it by accident and that caused the problem. At least I now know what happened to the repair feature in 7.

First, I didn't say the "Repair" feature is disabled in the Win7 RC, it more that you need the Win7 installation DVD to run the "repair" and, well, that isn't available until October 22, 2009!!

Did uninstall the offending video software?

-- Andy

Yes I was able to get rid of the software. Now I just need to reconfigure some things.

As far as the repair thing is concerned. I have 7 RC on disk, and the only help it gives is a tool that tries to fix the boot configuration. I think it looks through the drivers and software that boots with 7 and tries to fix conflicts. I'm use to using the repair feature on the XP disk that rewrites the system files.

If anyone can tell me what could be used for 7 that does the same XP (or close to it) that would be great.

I suggest trying System Restore to the restore point where you installed the offending program. Cross your fingers and hope it works. If it does, it will undo any registry changes that program made.

Yes, the WinXP repair feature is very nicely done. The Vista Upgrade which can be used as a repair, is more difficult to launch as you must start it from the Windows Desktop. Plus, it takes FOREVER to complete!

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back