TechSpot

64bit CPU 32Bit OS

By Yakob
Jul 20, 2007
  1. does it work??

i currently have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and i was wondering if this was better and compatible:

Here's one of the many i have seen:
    http://www.saverstore.com/productin...me=Savastore&product_id=20012786&rstrat=12717

also is my Mobo Campatible?? it's a foxconn, can't remember model number etc but i do know that it was cheap (about £30) so if i need a better one to use a dual core processor please let me know

2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

3. Yakob

Yakob TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

4. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Lol, good luck with your last day then fella.
    I always use:
    www.overclockers.co.uk www.aria.co.uk

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Yes. All consumer 64-bit CPUs (at the moment) also support 32-bit. That CPU in particular will work just fine with a 32-bit OS. In fact, I recommend sticking with 32-bit software for now, because 64-bit software and drivers have a little bit of maturing to do. Give it a couple of years and 64-bit will be a safe bet.

6. Yakob

Yakob TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

thanks for the info :)
    it's just, i need to upgrade my processor (I'm slowly frying it :p) and the best deal's i've been finding have some "64-bit technology enabled" or something like that and i was wondering if that would be compatible with a 32-bit OS. But thanks to the replies/info that you lot have given me i now know that it is compatible :) (maybe the techspot admin/mods should do a little FAQ for noob users like me with things like will a 64 --bit processor work with a 32-bit os etc)

7. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 up to a E6600 should work with any MB that would support the E4400.

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,410   +1,749

Please Note.....

While the OS can be 32 bit, the board BIOS and chipset MUST support the 64 bit processors.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.