6600gt agp wants to go higher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaipanSK8

Lately i have been playing oblivion a lot on my 6600gt (agp) 256mb, 3.0 ghz ,1.5g ram.

I have experienced some really smooth gameplay, but lately, it has been lagging a lot. It detected my settings as medium. I play on 1024x768 without any bloom or hdr. All grass, item, actor and object distances are a bit over half and shadows are low.

Is there anyway I can get my card running to support better frame rates? Any comments would be gratefully appreciated...

- Peace

PS - How do I get a fps rating in oblivion (im a noob)

Its weird, I sometimes get good framerates and sometimes bad ones. It automatically set oblivion to medium settings, but then why cant it handle it? I might try and update drivers (if they are not up to date already!).

I tried to overclock as well, using the msi clock feature. I raised 3d clock from 500mhz to 600mhz and cpu clock from 900mhz to 1000mhz, but it usually crashes with that annoying *****'s voice claiming 'CPU failed due to overclocking' (I will shoot her).

Any more ideas would be appreciated...

- Cheers!

Right click on your desktop go down to NVIDIA Display then select your monitor. Can you see an option for clock frequecies there? IF you can use that to overclock your graphics card instead of the MSI software.

If you cant see that, then search 'Coolb its' in google. You need to add that to the registry in order to get the clock frequencies option.

I couldnt find that nvidia display thing, i downloaded cool bits as well, but no luck. Even without overclocking, shouldnt it be running at least at 20fps? I got an average fps of like, 6 in Anvil (city) while playing on 800x600.

Is there a way that you can turn your graphics down to low quality instead of the automatically set medium??? I might have to do this as a last result. My bro plays on low with a 9600xt with a good amount of smoothness, and mine is ****!!!

Im so annoyed at this game, so im going to give my specs in hope that someone can give me a more concise explanation for this lack of gameplay:
----------------------------------------
Pentium 4 3.00ghz
1.5g Ram
Nvidia 6600gt 256mb
120g hard drive
----------------------------------------

Im just really confused as to why I am getting **** play when it auto detects for medium settings, even though it did set resolution to 640x480. More comments appreciated...

-Josh

I have reason to believe it's ur processor. It's probably bottlenecking the card. Is it HT BTW? If it is then it's a conflict between the card and processor. The HT technology messes around with 6600's a lot from what I've seen.

I have no idea if its HT. As I said before, I am a huge noob at this sort of stuff. Just now I have realised my CPU temp is hitting low 80's as ASUS probe was beeping. I opened the case and it has dropped down to about 75. Is temp part of performance???

Im really confused as to why I have had smooth fps before and now (for the majority of the time) I have terrible ones. By smooth, I mean about 15-20 (outside). I updated my RAM from 512 to 1.5gb as well, but I havent noticed any real difference in games (bf2, oblivion etc) which pisses me off a lot, any1 know why?

Thanks again for comments, but more would be appreciated in the direction of what i can do without having to go out and buy more stuff, as I just bought this vid card (seemed good choice being only AGP and all...)

-Josh

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I have reason to believe it's ur processor. It's probably bottlenecking the card.

I have a 3Ghz P4 combined with an x800, and I run the game fine on High Settings.

Obviously, while you have low(er) end video card, you should not be getting that FPS. I would suggest taking out the extra .5 GB of RAM. Trying running in Dual Channel (if your mobo supports it)

Also ensure that the RAM is the same speed I have heard stories where running two different speed RAM sticks can kill FPS.

Those CPU temps are quite high. Whats the make of the computer? Or is it custom built? Make sure you havn't placed your comp isnt in a place where its gonna get hot.

BTW what PSU have you got and whats the wattage on it? You really sure you dont get the nvidia display option when you right click on your background?

Also download the latest drivers for your 6600GT.

I believe a visit to the Socket Cooler Round-up in the TechSpot reviews section would find u a nice cooler for ur processor. Before trying this though, use a can of compressed air(available at most photo studios and computer shops) to get out any dust that is in the fan and/or the entire system. That would bring down the temps by about 2-5C max. I'd recommend the new cooler though.

AtK SpAdE said:
I have a 3Ghz P4 combined with an x800, and I run the game fine on High Settings.

Obviously, while you have low(er) end video card, you should not be getting that FPS. I would suggest taking out the extra .5 GB of RAM. Trying running in Dual Channel (if your mobo supports it)

Also ensure that the RAM is the same speed I have heard stories where running two different speed RAM sticks can kill FPS.

I am a noob at this sort of lingo, so could som1 plz tell me how to run in dual channel (ummm, whats a mobo?). RAM speed? does that have anything to do with it being DDR3? Ill try and take out the 512 anyways and see how it goes...

Its definately not a temp problem. I got the cpu down to like 50-60 and not much difference. I even ran the game on 640x480 and still hitting 7 fps at an oblivion gate. For **** sake!!! Does anyone know why I was getting good frame rates at 1024x768 before??? now this crap?!?!?! I even tried playing earned in blood again, (which i used to play with settings at max, and ran fine). Now it ch**** like a coal train on medium settings. I hate my life!

Seriously, with my specs would u expect to get average 25fps on medium, or do I have to go low???

More suggestions would be appreciated...

PS- I just remembered that the 'nvidia display' option when i right click on the backround used to be there, but now all I have is nvidia control panel and nview properties...If thats any help?

-Josh

I would be inclined to say that temps could be playing a factor in your recent performance drop. On a side not your hard drive may be holding you down as well. Often they get gummed up at which point a simple defrag may be in order. Sometimes it takes more than just a defrag though and at this point it's usually best to just start from scratch. You may want to check what processes you're running as well and which, if any, are taking up large amounts of your memory.

Ok, big problem now!!!

I tried overclocking the card (putting it on D.O.T software (dynamic Overclocking Technology)). After a few freezes and that voice saying 'CPU (Or GPU) failed due to overclocking', I turned off D.O.T. Oblivion ran fine for about a day, until I restarted my comp and it said again; CPU (Or GPU) failed due to overclocking'. I found this pretty weird.

When I tried to turn the comp on again, the monitor seems to not pick up the computer (going into 'power saving mode'). But if you unplug the cord from the monitor to the PC, it comes up 'signal lost' on the monitor.

I thought it may just be the monitor, so I changed monitors and still the same. Then the next logical thing was the video card. I changed that over with my old one but still the same. I am really confused as to what is going on?!?!? Does that cancel out the monitor and graphics card? The graphic card was only bought 2 months ago...

I have no computer now, so a solution would be greatly welcomed!

PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

-Josh

When you tries your old video card did you uninstall the new video card's
drivers? Sounds like the card is :dead: Do you have another pc you can try the card in?

I cant do anything with it because I have no visual! that is whats so annoying! Does any1 have any other suggestions??? Ive heard this is a fairly common problem, and that there is a way to fix it that doesnt involve buying something...(hopefully).

Ok, somehow that crazy problem fixed itself...

Now, Im still getting terrible fps on oblivion. It seems to have little difference whether it is on 640x480 or 1024x768.

I would like this question answered:

Q. How do I manually change my settings (autodetected at medium) to low???

An answer would be appreciated.

PS - I know that it is possible through the updated launcher (doesnt work on mine for some reason). But a manual way of doing it eg. tweaking would be much better.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back