6800 overclocking problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsay

Hi

Iv just got the 6800 with 12 pixel pipelines and 5 vertex shaders running at 325MHz core clock and 700Mhx Mem clock.

Ive just tried to unlock the extra 4 pipelines and the extra vertex shader using riva tuner, when i did n then tried to run the benchmark i just got a blank screen. Is this because this particular chip will not mod or could it be that my power supply is really at its limit and cant hack it. Would i be able to unlock these extra pipelines with a better power supply.

I have good case ventilation and have already wacked up the core and ram clock speeds with no problem.Could it be the **** power supply???

Cheers

Ramsay

you need to give us the specs of the machine...it could be anything based on what little info was given.

ok here goes.

cpu AMD athlon 3200+
HDD maxtor diamondmax 10 200Gig2
2 x 512 corsair Ram
liteon dvd/r/rw
asus a7n8x-E deluxe mobo
asus 6800 128Mb agp
Thermaltake Tsunami dream case(2 intake fans, 1 exhaust)
old 350 watt power supply(only gives 10Amps out on the 12v rail)

i did quite a bit of research into the graphics card to make sure it was the 6800 and not the 6800le chip, and my friend also has the same card and all pipelines and vertex shaders in use, however i know that not all chipsets are the same.The cooler also looks pretty decent,looks exactly like the one on the GT. Hope this helps.

Ramsay

Well, it could be your powersupply, then again the increased load on the PSU for only enabling the disabled pipelines is quite minimal really... (they are always active, i.e. receiving power... It's only that they are not in use by default...)

Do the tests on the page I linked, run them when you have the card at stock speed and also overclocked a little...

Could you post a high-resolution photo of the power filtering section of your card?

Because the ASUS model is supposed to be "Black Screen" free because they use the same powerfiltering circuit on all their 6800 cards, even the cheap "le" models... (that is, different from the nVidia reference design )

Quote from the author of that article i linked you:
I have NEVER heard BS-problems with ANY ASUS models, reason is totally different design of the graphic card (i.e. switching power supplies).

which part exactly do u want a pic of? u'l have to go into a little detail as am not familiar with the structure of it.

Previously though i didn't get any black screen at all on games/benchmark. When i unlocked the pipelines the games/benchmarks didn't even start. It was just black screen straight away after menu, so for the time being im just running the card on original specs.

Im just undergoing the tests from the link now and will post the results.

cheers

Ramsay

I want a pic of the caps etc that are on the right side of the card, the the right of the heatsink, when the card is oriented with the AGP port downwards, or against you... See here: http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc035705hq1yl.jpg

But I guess it is possible you get a black screen when enabling the pipelines.. Though my experience with other cards (mainly ATI) have been just major display corruption, even in the desktop of Windows, though no lockups...

Hi,

I registered to this Forum in order to take part to discussion (Thanks 'Per Hansson' for giving a hint :) )

--

I have myself seen a 'black screen' caused by a faulty pipe: everything was working just fine in desktop level, but in 3D shut down right away.

This 'feature' is NOT 'Black screen' in sense of explained in that XS-document. ASUS cards are utilizing totally different design for switching regulator, which is origin for 'Black screen'. Therefore that kind of 'Black screen' can be only be possible with cards using the design explained in that document (see the foto posted above by Per). That design has been used at least by : Gainward, MSI, XFX, Sparkle, Aopen, OEM-vendors..

they specs of that PSU are unsuitable for anything powering your 6800 card and the rest of your rig. get a quality, name brand PSU rated for at least 400w

pic of caps

hi, il post the pics of the graphics card as soon as i get some new batteries for my digital camera, haha.shoudn't be too long i hope.

cheers

ramsay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back