6800GT does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curry777

Hello, I bought this card recently Leadtek Winfast A400 GT TDH Geforce 6800 GT 256mb AGP, http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_a400_2.html

My computer:
Windows XP pro service pack 2
AMD 3500+ Athlon
MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum modekort ATX
1024mb DDR Ram
80 gig harddisk
DVD burner
2 chassi fans 180mm,80mm
Powersupply Chieftec ATX12v 360watt ATX 2.0
Chassi Chieftec

I installed the card into my computer and started it up. The first thing I noticed it had 8/4bits and 640x/800x resulotion, I thought that was normal before installing new drivers. But when I installed all the drivers and restarted it had the same resulotion and evrything. It seems the drivers wouldn't worked and it was from the producers website. Anyway, I founded a old driver so I thouight that was the problem, so I formated the computer and was goin to make a new fresh start but it ended up at the same way. So, what's the problem? I can't find any! It's a AGP card 8x and my motherboard is supporting 8x AGP cards. I don't really get it, I thought it was a power supply problem, but that would resultad with random shut downs havn't exprienced anything of that recently. Uppdated BIOS too, and it had no effect.

Thanks for all help! :)

Is the ONLY problem you have having, the fact that your screen is coming up at 640x800?

Simply installing a new card will not change that automatically. You have to go into your settings and change that manually. Right click on your desktop and go to properties, then settings.

Do you see your 6800GT listed there?
Set your screen resolution to 1280x1024 (or whatever setting you want) here.

Hope this helps. If I have misunderstood you, just give us more info. Someone will get you up and running.

Wow, that was a lot of work for a very simple thing. Video cards always default to the 800x600 resolution. After loading the Nvidia driver simply right click on the desktop (or the icon in the system tray) and select Nvidia Display. Then click on "screen resolutions and refresh rates" and change to the resolution you want. Also, make sure in BIOS that you have AGP selected as the initial display mode.

Merc14 said:
Also, make sure in BIOS that you have AGP selected as the initial display mode.
That is only usefull if you have more then one video card installed on the system. Otherwise it has no effect.

He has integrated graphics so I'm telling him to disable it just to eliminate any strange conflicts that may arise. Regardless, you should always set the BIOS to the video priority you want. Why would you leave it set to the wrong order if you have the ability to set the correct order?

Because it has no effect whatsoever, if there's no PCI video card, AGP will be used. & I don't think the K8n Neo2 Platinum has integrated video.

oops, I was mixing him up with another guy w/ onboard graphics and a 5200 problem. LOL Anyways, I always set it up to boot what I want regardless, I'm in BIOS anyways so whats the diff. .

What may (or may not) solve the problem is to uninstall your nForce platform/chipset drivers and then uninstall the Forceware video card drivers.

Reboot. Reinstall your nForce platform drivers first. Reboot. Reinstall your Forceware drivers next. Reboot.

Your video card SHOULD be installed properly and you should be able to set your resolution and color depth as desired.

I have reinstalled my motherboard drivers and graphic drivers. But what the hell, is there a graphic card in my motherboard? :mad: Anyway, there i no option to change resulotion and colour, only 4bits and 640x/800x. It looks awful. I have been updating the latest bios for the motherboard but without any results. I have changed PCI to AGP and memory to 128mb to 256mb without any results!

OK. Stupid question time, but have to ask...

You have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, right? Not the integrated graphics port... right?

And you have a connection going from your PSU to the graphics card directly, right?

DonNagual said:
OK. Stupid question time, but have to ask...

You have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, right? Not the integrated graphics port... right?

And you have a connection going from your PSU to the graphics card directly, right?

Yupp, Roger that! :p

I have been recommended a guy to run "Force Update ESCD" can't find it, anywhere in my motherboard manual.

Having a look at your original post, I'd say there is another potential cause of your headaches.

Your PSU.

It is a noname PSU that came with the case, and in general those are a nightmare....

Not to mention that you are running relatively new parts on only a 360Watt PSU.

Curry777-
There isn't integrated graphics on your mobo. That was my mistake, I was helping someone else and mixed up your boards on that second post. Didiou caught it and straightened me out. Anyways, There has to be a utility to adjust your resolution. Did you do as I suggested and "right click" on the desktop to bring up the little tool box with a display option in it? Alternatively on the lower right side of the screen there should be a little icon to bring up the Nvidia utility.

Either one will bring up the nvidia utility. In it you will see "screen resolutions and refresh rates" which is your control that allows you to set the resolution as you desire. If there is no Nvidia display utility then you are loading the wrong drivers. Go to the Nvidia site and download drivers there and install them rather than what you are getting from the manufacturer.

Sorry, I totally forgot, what kind of error message I get when I go onto the graphic drivers properties:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)"

Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller does not get an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupt Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

DonNagual said:

problem is that I can't see any conflicts between them. And there is no I think. I ran the troubleshoot wizard and ended up disabling alot of stuff and next time I restarted the computer I got just a black screen, but restored that by installing another graphic card. Here is some screens I took under device manager:

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=device3test9wr.png

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=device45ji.png

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=device20nb.png

Look on the colour :p

Right, well I gave up with this, returning the hardware to where I bought it. And hopefully, get my money back because this sucks!

Thanks for all the help I got, it seems the hardware have been damaged some how.

DonNagual said:
Having a look at your original post, I'd say there is another potential cause of your headaches.

Your PSU.

It is a noname PSU that came with the case, and in general those are a nightmare....

Not to mention that you are running relatively new parts on only a 360Watt PSU.

I'd agree with the PSU being an issue, i read somewhere that a 6800 GT requires at least a 420W power supply. I have one and I got an Antec 500W just to be safe. I am still having an issue with my PC rebooting but I think its a memory issue.(don't use PC3200 RAM with an nforce 2 400 chipset=VERY UNSTABLE). I had to downclock the RAM to run at 333MHz to get the computer to even stay on long enough to do anything. I am running memtest86 right now and I think my RAM is toast.

I've got a 6800GT running perfectly on a 380W right here. Get a good power supply from at least 350, above 400w is overkill. And no-name brands are junk no matter wattage so stay away from those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back