6800gt idle temp a bit worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaf

Hi all. I purchased a 6800gt gf card last year in november. I hadn't checked the temp in ages, and so thought i would. I had bin on the pc 2 hours just surfing the net, and i hadn't been on any games. The temp was reported to be 72c. This was at idle, i am worried, would this do damage to the card over time? I am going to go on a game (need for speed underground 2) and check the temp after an hours gaming. What would you say is the problem? When i first got the card it used to be around 50c at idle. I am using drivers 71.84.

Thanx.

Those drivers and all of the 71.xx and up make a lot of people's temps show about 10 degree's or more hotter than with the earlier drivers. I don't know if the increased temps are right or if the lower ones are, but I went back to the 67.03's, they are good drivers and work well for me. And I don't like my temps that high if it's correct, as mine went from about 52 degrees idle to around 65.

The bottom line, go back to an earlier driver like the 67.03's or 66.93 and you will probably see your temps go down about 10 or 15 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back