6800GT vs X800XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

hello my friends!, I've been researching on this 2 video cards for my new upgrade... I've read tons of reviews without taking a final decision, I come to the conclusion to give the final word to you guys.

I have an AMD64 3000 CPU, 1gb 3200 RAM and an eVGA 6800 128mb video card... I was disapointed when I tried BF2 and FEAR demo, both lagged at max settings... had to lower resolution from 1280x1024 to 800x600.

I can afford one of the cards mentioned on the title but I can't decide on which... core and memory clocks trouble me, nVidia has lower core but higher memory than ATI... I read somewhere about nVidias advantage over ATI cause of SmartShader 3, don't know if that would really benefit... on the other hand both card behave different concerning the game, sometime ATI has advantage, sometime nVidia does.... what would u recommend?, what suits best my pc?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814170057
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102542

Thx in advance!

yes thats a good review, I read it... definatelly pro X800XL, the thing is that is a bit old.... now days people are most concerned on smart shader technology, thats where my undecision begins

hey

this really is a pretty tough decision because after looking at the graph that vegasgmc showed i see that before the AA was enabled the Geforce 6800 GT outperformed the radeon x800 xl (256) by just 54 points in the 3D mark 2005 Benchmarks but after the AA was enabled the Radeon X800 XL (256) beat the Geforce 6800 GT by 24 points ........lol

Anyways after that i looked at the games benchmark tests and the Geforce 6800 GT had a very slight advantage over the X800 XL except for Half life 2

I guess they are pretty much the Same cards try going for one that is cheaper ....but still i guess you should do some more research

Personally i would buy a Geforce 6800 GT.....

Thanks
Harris

I use any card that fits my budget and desired need. In this case, you really have two cards that fit into that. Let me tell you, no matter what card you get, you wont be dissapointed. Why dabble over 20 points in a benchmark....pick a card a start enjoying games.

Sean

I actually would go ATI, I'm not going by benchmarks I'm going from experience, and that's my computer ran so much better on the x800 over the 6800, but that's just me ;)

there are low-end x800 cards and low-end 6600gts. and by low end i mean they have lower clock speeds than thier gpu manufacturer's specs. when you buy a card, give special attention to the clock speeds.

hey

Clock speeds do matter... but if you look at it radeon cards have WAY more clock speeds than Nvidia cards but nvidia cards still manage to get high benchmarks...how come ??? is it because of the shader technology that nvidia uses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back