7 Free Apps to Install on a New Windows PC

Julio Franco

Staff member
Most of the above except for any cloud. Ask Jennifer Lawrence why. And instead of any modern media player I use K-lite and long unsupported, 1MB in size, simple as a stick, BESTplayer. If You're a Windows user I would personally add to the list the program called Classic Shell, personally, older version 3.6.5. Mostly to improve file explorer (cut/copy/paste/delete toolbar. I still use it side-by-side with Ctrl+X/C/V, Delete) and to replace file copying/conflict dialog in Win7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good suggestions. Personally, the single most effective tool I've used to increase productivity was Directory Opus. On the surface, it looks like just another dual pane explorer replacement...but once you dig in, your entire workflow will change for the better.

Media players like VLC are great, I recommend it to everyone. At home, I use MPC-BE as it just works a little better with my mouse and gestures.

Most of the above except for any cloud. Ask Jennifer Lawrence why. And instead of any modern media player I use K-lite and long unsupported, 1MB in size, simple as a stick, BESTplayer. If You're a Windows user I would personally add to the list the program called Classic Shell, personally, older version 3.6.5. Mostly to improve file explorer (cut/copy/paste/delete toolbar. I still use it side-by-side with Ctrl+X/C/V, Delete) and to replace file copying/conflict dialog in Win7.
I believe most of the people aren't Jennifer Lawrence and they won't be targeted by hackers. She had some basic password and/or security question which people who are interested in her found out. You have nothing to worry about.

I would personally add a PDF reader here like Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader and maybe a torrent client like qBittorrent or uTorrent 2.2.1 (older version).

Note ++ is superb as is FileZilla. Ditto for VLC player. I also do not avail myself of cloud services, preferring to keep my data under my own control.

Sure wish InfoSeek search was still available: it was GREAT to be able to search within previous search results and w/o paid result-weighting.

I believe most of the people aren't Jennifer Lawrence and they won't be targeted by hackers. She had some basic password and/or security question which people who are interested in her found out. You have nothing to worry about.

I would personally add a PDF reader here like Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader and maybe a torrent client like qBittorrent or uTorrent 2.2.1 (older version).

Tixiati for torrent client. Ultralightweight no adware, free. Try Sumtra for PDF reader. Able to read all ebook formats aswell as pdf. Free no adware. VLC player is crap go for Klite megacodec pack. Foobar 2000 for music.

I use TeraCopy for copying files - the standard copier in Windows 10 is very weak.
The day that MS decided to replace a progress bar with an activity bar was a bad day for Windows.

I agree with others, Ccleaner would be wise to add. Personally I find VLC extremely clunky and messy and I hate seeing it so popularized! K-lite codec pack can make almost any player play almost any file type so there's no reason to use VLC, the "everything-including-the-kitchen-sink" player... I personally like PotPlayer as my video player. Powerful, lightweight, fast, and even comes with codecs if you don't want k-lite.

Notepad++ for your general coding needs, but that's probably not something the common user would be concerned about.

I personally use this a couple times a week and I don't consider myself much of a programmer.

Also for those looking for a message app try Discord.
Great program it has the features of gaming VOIP programs with easy to setup servers and channels for free.

We recommended Classic Shell in yesterday's tip that was about tweaking Windows itself.

As for Notepad++, a fine program, but if you see above we recommended Sublime Text instead. I have used both and prefer Sublime (by far) but to each his own :)
I love notepad++, will check sublime.

Notepad++ for your general coding needs, but that's probably not something the common user would be concerned about.
Even if it's not for coding, is an advanced notepad with multiple tabs and remembers the opened documents, so super useful! And if you add it into a cloud storage option, you can open it from wherever straight into your notes, kind of a lightweight OneNote.

I recommend BRAVE as a browser. Best ad blocking and privacy of anything out there. Firefox is getting long in the tooth and I do my best to stay away from anything Google.
As far as Cloud storage goes, I have TERABYTES of data on my desktop system and there is no cloud storage solution for anyone in my position. Cloud is great to backup a smartphone or a tablet with limited storage, but when you get into multiple terabytes of data, external drives is the way to go if you really want to protect your data.

I'm a professional photographer, among other interests. Despite all the hype about this, that or the other photo editing software, I use IrfanView for 80-90% of my photo processing needs. It creates great thumbnails for cataloging, can "auto-adjust" most files with the default settings, and is REALLY great for creating wallet prints (4-up from a 4X6 print) in only 3 quick steps. I highly recommend it, it's *FREE*, and haven't begun to touch on its features. Be sure to get the plugins as well - SUPER.

As for VLC Player, it is feature rich as far as configuration and customization, but works flawlessly right out of the box!" We use it for playing music videos in my church, and have not found anything that works better for our application. I use HandBrake to reduce the file size and handle bulky video formats/conversions of most any source.

As for "cloud storage" I will NEVER, EVER trust any outside facility with the care and safekeeping of my data. Besides, small footprint, multi-terabyte storage is now cheap and reliable, if you keep multiple redundant backups. You have no idea what controls are in place as to privacy, the "service" can be withdrawn or suddenly "go dark" in today's business climate, and despite the strictest controls by a vendor there will always be that "rogue" employee whose curiosity gets the better of them. (Been there, done that, have the legal costs to show for it!) Most company IT security and privacy policies are against this usage, if they are at all serious about their data and IP, if not then it may be their funeral one day!

Back