7 years of 3d graphics - Accelenation.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

The article
From accelenation.com :

At Siggraph in August 1996 Microsoft tried to dictate the future path of 3D rendering technology by announcing their Talisman project. The philosophy behind Talisman was to reduce bandwidth by introducing a tile-based rendering approach similar to the one being developed by PowerVR. Microsoft was supported by no less than Samsung, Fujitsu and Cirrus Logic, all of whom pledged silicon to implement the technology. Unfortunately over the coming months rendering philosophy would be defined by the likes of 3dfx and not by some vision of the future from Microsoft. One by one each chipmaker pulled out of the project and although some of the technology would eventually be licensed by Trident, the Microsoft dream was dead.

Unfortunately the Talisman project had sidetracked Microsoft and shifted their attention away from the development of DirectX. If Talisman had taken off, history may have witnessed a completely different path for DirectX. As it was, the failure of Talisman meant that it took Microsoft another twelve months to admit defeat, reverse and then forge ahead with the de facto rendering approach. It would not be until the end of 1997 that the world would finally see a competent API from Microsoft in the shape of DirectX version 5.

With Microsoft revealing plans to do the graphics chipset for the Xbox2, are they going to try and enter the graphics market for a second time?
Got to say this article is a really good read and I thoroughly recommend it.

I'd have put this in news if I had known Paul and Thomas thought that it was news worthy ;)

7 Years of Graphics...

Accelenation's article on the past 7 years of the graphics industry is a really good read.

Man that article brings back memories. I remember having an ATI 3d Rage All-in-Wonder with 4 megs of memory and getting my first Voodoo 1 accelerator and thinking I was hot stuff with a whopping 8 megs of ram. I rember the first game I bought was Need for Speed, I think, and comming home and not being able to play it, calling tech support they told me "yeah it doesn't work on that card"...."but we will put a patch out in about 6 months so wait for the patch to play", I didn't, and never bought another need for speed game !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back