70% of Washington DC's CCTV cameras were hit with ransomware in week leading up to inauguration

midian182

Staff member

Just eight days before Donald Trump’s inauguration, criminals infected 70 percent of Washington’s CCTV cameras with ransomware, according to city officials and the police. 123 of the city's 187 network video recorders were affected and unable to record between January 12 and 15.

Police noticed that four of the closed-circuit cameras weren’t recording on Jan 12, according to the Washington Post. They informed the city’s Technology Office, which found two forms of ransomware on the devices before launching a citywide sweep.

Archana Vemulapalli, Washington's Chief Technology Officer, said the city paid no ransom. The affected units were cleaned by taking the devices offline, removing all the software, and restarting the system at each site.

It’s not known what data, if any, was lost, or if the ransomware was designed just to keep the system offline. Exactly how the infection got there in the first place is also a mystery.

It appears that the timing of the attack so close to the inauguration was a coincidence. Vemulapalli explained that the infection was confined to the police CCTV cameras that monitor public areas and did not extend deeper into D.C. computer networks. “There was no access from these devices into our environment,” he said. City officials added that the intrusion was “localized” and did not affect criminal investigations.

Police say the malware had “no significant impact,” and declined to name any suspects. The incident is the latest in a line of high-profile ransomware infections, which includes the San Francisco transit system hack last year and attacks on several hospitals.

Permalink to story.

It was bound to happen sooner or later .... your hard earned tax dollars, not quite at work!

It's good that they actually know about it now, reacting to things is the common way governments deal with stuff, thankfully it was apparently random.

I wonder if "They" paid up? ;)
I wonder if people read, or just look at title and picture like children books.

@Rob
Just eight days before Donald Trump’s inauguration
Totally unnecessary and makes me think you are now doing it on purpose, shame on you! It has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Inciting trump fest just because... shame... *chime bells*... shame...

@Rob
Totally unnecessary and makes me think you are now doing it on purpose, shame on you! It has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Inciting trump fest just because... shame... *chime bells*... shame...
I'll agree with the sentiment on this one. Even mentioning Trump or the inauguration only adds a rhetoric spin to the article and does not offer any purpose other than to bait readers.

Now... if this happened right before, during, or after the inauguration, and if it were a localized attack on CCTV cameras around the mall/parade route THEN you'd have something and the internet would likely be going insane ha ha ha...

@Rob
I'll agree with the sentiment on this one. Even mentioning Trump or the inauguration only adds a rhetoric spin to the article and does not offer any purpose other than to bait readers.

Now... if this happened right before, during, or after the inauguration, and if it were a localized attack on CCTV cameras around the mall/parade route THEN you'd have something and the internet would likely be going insane ha ha ha...

I think the pics Photoshopped to make the crowds look smaller were criminal enough.

Back